Returning after mat leave

(6 Posts)
Beansprout30 Mon 25-Apr-16 13:27:31

So I'm 27 weeks pregnant and have 9 weeks till I go on may leave and I'm ridiculously feeling anxious about when I come back!

I think it's because my cover has been arranged rather sloppily (a friend of my colleague is covering) boss is saying the cover will likely be kept on permanently however there is only just enough work for the two of us as it is.

I know I shouldn't think about it and just enjoy being away with my baby but I don't want to come back and feel like I've been pushed out. I guess everyone has the same concerns?

I'm worried about when I come back and how I'm going to the take my work load back! Any tips/advice/experiences?!

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Mon 25-Apr-16 13:39:15

I'm coming to the end of my second maternity leave, though I work in a large department with very defined roles. It's understandable for you to feel apprehensive about coming back but it won't be for ages yet, and you may decide not to return on the same terms. I went pt after dc1 then added an extra day when I changed positions now going back imminently after dc2 to 4 days per week. It is daunting and upsetting to be handing over to a minder or nursery but you've got to do what you've got to do. I was quite ready to go back after the first one and enjoyed my adult time at work but worried this time around about fitting everything in logistically ... we will find a way. It's easy for me to say but just relax, you'll find you care less about work stuff when you have gorgeous baby to gaze at. Up to your employers if they want to keep an additional person on, they're paying them smile best of luck!

Beansprout30 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:10:35

Thanks for your reply, trying to just forget work and look forward to my baby coming smile

SherryRB Wed 27-Apr-16 08:15:00

Have you thought about Keeping In Touch Days ... these don't need to be full work days- you could go in for a meeting or just an afternoon or for training. You can spread them out through your maternity leave or leave them until later. Both employer and employee need to agree to them, however it might be worth chatting to your boss now about using KIT days. Perhaps that would help how you feel now. And like the previous poster said, you may find you feel quite differently once your baby arrives. Enjoy your maternity leave.

Hero1callylost Wed 27-Apr-16 08:19:24

If you have 9 weeks left at work that's a good amount of time for a thorough handover to your cover person?

Look on it as an advantage if they do a bad job though - work might be desperate to have you back to sort everything out!

Beansprout30 Wed 27-Apr-16 11:05:39

I will ask my boss about kit day's although he probably won't have a clue what I'm asking about!

The handover to my cover is not really what I'm concerned about its more that my boss hasn't even interviewed her, he's gone by my colleagues word that she will be suitable and hasn't even stated it's maternity cover! I guess that's not really my problem as they should keep my job open for me, I just worry there won't be enough work for 3 of us and I can't stand sitting round with no work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now