How to get DH back into work?

(10 Posts)
FrankieGoesToAsda Sun 10-Apr-16 08:13:20

DH has been out of 'normal' work for over a decade due to a long struggle with depression, doing a college course, volunteer work and being a SAHP but we'd both like him to be able to go back to work now, I'm working f/t which just keeps us afloat but extra money would mean things not being so tight, we'd be able to pay off debts and save towards buying a house. DH is really scared of trying to find work though after so long, he was very badly bullied in his last f/t job and feeling a LOT of inertia about getting back into work again. He's not lazy, if you gave him a job right now and told him to turn up tomorrow and work he'd toddle off quite happily, but the finding jobs/choosing/applying/interviews seems too much for him so, rightly or wrongly, I'm going to have to take some of that on and do as much as I can up to interview stage.

Struggling to think what sort of job would work for him though, I'm working in a field he'd have no skills/interest in so not sure what's out there that would suit him. Something part time would be ideal but f/t is not out of the question as childcare would be a pain but manageable. Retail or a call centre is the obvious choice but think he'd really struggle, he's doesn't find social stuff or chaos easy at all. He's trained in an area of mental health so anything to do with that might be good but most seems to require more demonstrable experience than I think he could show (he's got experience but wouldn't be confident of conveying/using that).

He'd happily work nights, is very responsible but just lacking so much confidence. An apprenticeship would be perfect for him, starting with low expectations 'at the bottom' and building up, but he's too old. Voluntary work would be good but there's very little round here that isn't fundraising/leafleting etc - the sort that doesn't actually lead to gaining any experience of the company.

Is there a type of job/job area I'm not thinking of? Would trying agency work be better or more stress? Are there places that do free or low cost work coaching to help him find/get a job?

SherryRB Sun 10-Apr-16 13:04:42

possibly your local Childrens Centre might run a back to work workshop or coaching? perhaps try the local Job Centre, maybe they offer something. I've seen this offered in my local area. As a confidence coach myself, I would encourage him to give coaching a go if he can find it locally. Often as part of the qualification/study process, coaches are looking for pro bono clients to submit a portfolio.

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 10-Apr-16 13:22:57

If he's not bothered about what he does, what about cleaning?
I do cleaning for an agency. All by myself every night at a Drs surgery, I don't like social situations so it's great for that.
It's easy work, no skills needed.
It's evening time when DP is back from his 9-5 job so there's no childcare issues and I earn us an extra £100 a week we wouldn't normally have otherwise and I only work for an hour maximum.

Ididn't work for 11 years and was so worried about it but this is something I'm doing now which I can put on a cv and it's given me the confidence to start thinking about what I might do next for work because I know there are people out there that will employ me!

thesandwich Sun 10-Apr-16 13:32:25

Get him to try the icould buzz quiz on line- free and quick and gives some ideas about possible areas of work.
What about care work? Care homes/ carers visiting clients at home?

whattheseithakasmean Sun 10-Apr-16 13:36:36

Could he do clerical work - data entry type stuff? If so, temping agencies would be the place to start, it may be worth ringing round a few - as a student I temped in all sorts of offices, doing very routine data entry/opening mail/photocopying type roles - that was a while ago, so not sure if agencies still do this. I worked through Brook Street.

ImperialBlether Sun 10-Apr-16 13:38:38

I think you have to have a lot of confidence if you're temping - you're always meeting new people and learning new jobs. It might be too much for him as a first step.

NoahVale Sun 10-Apr-16 20:53:50

cleaning sounds perfect. there are lots of jobs.
or a night carer? would he consider that?

NoahVale Sun 10-Apr-16 20:55:10

a night carer awake/ or asleep, in a home for dementia sufferers? and nursing auxillary in a mental health instititute?

NoahVale Sun 10-Apr-16 20:56:10

I don't trust agencies personally. They send you off and the job doesn't exist or is temporary and not what you thought. not good for confidence

Ormally Sun 10-Apr-16 22:14:15

I don't know if there are any places like this near you or if this would be of interest, but how about something like a retreat house, a post for people who accompany those who use a dial-a-ride service, or even work with a daycare centre of some kind (can he cook?!)? Or connections to a hospital - if volunteering, how about some of the 'befriending' schemes which would give a relatively good route into finding out about other jobs there or in private hospitals if the big ones might appear too stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now