PGCE now or post-uni 'gap year' before PGCE?

(10 Posts)
HelloPossums Tue 22-Mar-16 16:19:52

Hi.

I graduated from uni last year, and am preparing my PGCE application at the moment, as I'm really interested in going into teaching.

I also applied for Teach First earlier this year, and was told a couple of weeks ago that I'd been unsuccessful. Today, I had a feedback call from them explaining that I'd been very close to getting accepted but had missed on one thing - problem solving (one of the assessed competencies).

I still want to continue applying for a PGCE (to start from September this year, so I know I haven't got very long left to apply!) but since the feedback call, I'm wondering if it's worth applying for TF again.

I have something lined up that I'm considering for next year (tutoring English abroad), but I suppose my question is:

Is it worth potentially putting my career plans on hold to tutor abroad for a year (there is, among other things, a fairly decent salary involved with the tutoring) or is it best just to go for a PGCE from September this year? What do you think?

Thanks everyone! smile

HelloPossums Tue 22-Mar-16 17:03:04

Anyone with any suggestions/advice? smile

DitheringDiva Tue 22-Mar-16 17:51:41

I don't think it really matters. Just do what you most want to do. If you'd prefer a year abroad at the moment, then do that. You could then re-apply for Teach First again when you come back if you prefer that route into teaching. You'll find the teacher training in this country a lot easier with a year's experience abroad under your belt. I always find it weird here, that a trainee teacher is pretty much expected to already be able to teach before they even start the course.

jclm Sat 02-Apr-16 23:35:55

You have some time to really consider your career path now. Have you read any career advice books? Or spoken to a careers advisor? And spoken to qualified teachers? I think teaching is a good stepping stone to other things but there are many complaints about the profession (have a look on here to get more info!). Good luck x

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Mon 04-Apr-16 15:35:28

I'd go for the teaching abroad option, personally. It's all good experience I would have thought. Have you done much teaching up to now? Do you want to go abroad (my answer to that question is always "yes", but I realise it's not the same for everybody!)?

I would say, from many years' experience of living in various countries, that living abroad will develop your problem solving skills exponentially!!

Binders1 Tue 05-Apr-16 10:22:08

I would take the opportunity abroad. It will give you life and teaching experience and will no doubt help with the 'problem solving skills'. It will also clarify further in your mind whether teaching is the right route for you once you have completed your year's overseas tutoring. (Is that in a classroom environment?). I know a few people who have done the PGCE and some taught for a couple of years but left the profession for something else.

Blondie87 Tue 05-Apr-16 19:17:38

Hi there,
I'm in my fourth year of teaching. I did my degree, masters then PGCE in succession and while I'm happy with my career choice, in retrospect I should have had a year out to work abroad and/or travel. You'll be working until you're in your late 60s and yes, you can take advantage of the summer holidays to travel but it's not the same. Once you've got your PGCE you'll probably want to crack on and do your NQT year. Go while you have the freedom!

FlyRussianUnicorn Tue 05-Apr-16 21:01:33

99.9% you have already posted this, OP. Why start another thread? :confused:

Maladicta Tue 05-Apr-16 21:08:30

Currently doing a PGCE as a v mature student, get as much experience as you can pre-course - tutoring abroad would be perfect.

From observing my fellow students, the ones finding the behaviour management/expectations most difficult are those who joined straight from uni.

Questionsmorequestions Tue 05-Apr-16 21:28:33

Take a year out, go work with children and then you will gain experience that you can use in your PGCE year or it will have put you off and you can do something else! We employ TAs who are post degree and waiting to apply for PGCEs- they are brilliant and they gain a lot from the experiences. I really worry that students who have come straight from school into uni and then into school just don't have enough life experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now