Anyone just quit their job, took time off, and then went back without too much trauma?

(2 Posts)
AKAmyself Sat 09-Jan-16 14:14:18

That's it really. I think I've reached the end of the road in how much longer I can keep up with my job. It's a good job in so many ways, well paid, and i've recently managed to reduce my hours a little bit (1/2 day a week off).

But it's still really intense, on my full days i'm at my desk 11 hours a day, i'm always exhausted, I can't seem to care enough about what i do and the quality of my work is slipping alongside my commitment and passion. I have lost all faith in the industry I work in (financial services) and I no longer have any of the career ambitions that have fuelled me to date. With my 40th birthday looming, I just ask myself how much longer i can put off feeling fulfilled, motivated, and fit in both a physical and emotional sense....

I also want to spend more time with my primary school-age children before they slip through my fingers (so to speak) and head off into the randomness of teenage years... I've tried to be as present as i could but really, i have missed out on A LOT Of their crucial years due to working 50/60 hours a week and being tired and stressed all the time... it's a source of regret but I figure I can still make up for it, maybe...

I recently started a coaching qualification, which i'm enjoying and i would like to devote a bit more time to. Hard to do it alongside work, though,without adding to this feeling of being really burned out and pulled in every direction

FInancially, dh and i have worked out i could be out of work for 6-9 months.

I'm going to ask for a sabbatical, but its never done here so i'm not very hopeful. My fallback plan is to just quit - take some time off, recharge, exercise, figure out what i want to do, devote some time to my coaching thing, and then start looking for work again after 6 months or so.

It seems like a pretty reckless thing to do... and so i'm wondering... has anyone done it? Somehow it's so much easier to explain a gap in your cv if you've had a baby or relocated (both of which I've done), but, assuming I end up in the same industry a year from now (which lets face it, could well happen...) what do I say? Sorry, i was bored and tired and so i just quit? Wont they just wonder if I'll do it again...?

Any experiences or views gratefully received!

Gliblet Sat 09-Jan-16 14:20:53

It'll definitely be easier if you're looking to change career. We've just recruited to a maternity cover post, not entry level but not management either, and the person we've recruited has had much more senior jobs in the past but wants some p/t, school-hours work to spend time with her kids. She was very up front about it in the application/interview process and no one raised an eyebrow about it.

I only dropped a grade on changing jobs and returning to work after mat leave but explained that I was more concerned about the right job/flexibility than the career ladder at that stage and, again, it was taken at face value.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now