references

(1 Post)
DitheringDiva Thu 07-Jan-16 15:59:08

Calling anyone who has experience of the hiring process. Applying for a job, and just deciding who to put down as my second reference. My first reference is my boss from my last job (some temporary work I did in the summer). The instructions then just ask for someone who is 'able to comment on your suitability for this position'. I have 3 options (all are happy to give a reference):
1. A work colleague from about 15 years ago (i.e. pre-travelling/pre-children) who I worked with in a job most similar to the job that I'm applying for and he still works in this industry (the job I'm applying for is in the same industry, but a different role to the one I used to do).
2. A boss from a job I did about 5 years ago, but the job was totally unrelated to the job that I'm now applying for.
3. A close friend, who knows me well now, but I've never worked for her, and she works in a very different line of (high-flying) work to what I'm applying for.

Which would be the best choice, or would it not really matter? I'm thinking 3 is probably the weakest, and would probably plump for 1, but then 2 is more recent, so maybe that one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now