Stuck in a rut!!

(6 Posts)
DanyD Wed 23-Dec-15 12:27:09

Hello ladies,

I am in desperate need of some guidance and advice. I am 26 with a 4yo and a 10mo and I haven't worked since before I was pregnant with my first child. So basically I was 21. I was living in a seaside town with little or no opportunity and I'm not gonna lie I shunned further education in favour of partying and was abit of a wild child. I worked in a residential home for the mentally ill and enjoyed my work but since my duties included working with child sex offenders after becoming pregnant with my daughter it did not feel right for me to go back and work there when my maternity was up. So now here I am, 5 years later with a great husband and two wonderful children but with no real sense of what I want to do with my life. Husband has a great career so money and time are not really an issue for me at the minute I just need to know how to get a foot in the door. Since my youngest is only 10mo I am not entirely comfortable with leaving her with a child minder/day care. I suppose I am asking if anyone has experienced anything like my situation and what path you ended up taking? Are there courses available that I can do from home and that are worth their salt? I am really interested in law and social work. Working alongside troubled youths or victims of crime or something along those lines. I just feel the longer I am out of work/education and just being a full time mum the more I am losing my identity as an individual. please does anyone have any advice for me?

MaybeDoctor Wed 23-Dec-15 12:32:41

Ok, don't panic - you are only 26! Plenty of time.

I suggest that your local FE college should be your first port of call.

What about a Level 3 course in health and social care? Or, an access course to go to university?

Or, you could follow the legal secretary/paralegal route to become a lawyer?

DanyD Wed 23-Dec-15 12:38:37

Thanks for reply MaybeDoctor, this is the first time I have ever used a forum for help and advice.

I would love to do an access course I am just unsure on how these things work when you have children and no childcare. My eldest is ok as she attends nursery and starts primary in Sept but my youngest is stuck to me 24/7 so ideally I need something that will allow her to attend with me or something that can be studied and completed at home. Is this gonna be impossible?

Thanks again smile

MaybeDoctor Wed 23-Dec-15 16:20:54

You are v welcome!

I would treat 2016 as your 'year of research' - find out what is out there, what might work. Then your DD would be a bit older and it would be easier/cheaper to find childcare.

I think there is some help with childcare if you are studying.

In the meantime, why not have a look at some of the free online courses you can take?

Coursera
FutureLearn

MaybeDoctor Wed 23-Dec-15 16:21:56

Children's centres sometimes do qualifications that you can attend with a baby/toddler.

uberconscious Tue 29-Dec-15 16:44:08

How about a new language? I highly recommend using Rosetta Stone. Learn at home at your pace and as its lessons it gives you a sense of pride.

I don't recommend investing in a course until you are sure about what you want to do with it. The reason is that it can feel worse to spend money, take the course and not be using the new skills. I find languages a safter bet as they can be used on holiday, help children become bi lingual and enhance a CV.

Some libraries offer language courses on loan for a small charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now