Application advice: how much to write and when to assume

(5 Posts)
JoblessInSeattle Thu 20-Aug-15 10:04:39

I'm applying for an NHS band 6 MH role. One of the essential criteria is:
'Knowledge and in-depth understanding of a range of mental health issues and the impact on service users and carers.' Does this mean I have to write a little essay for example about anxiety, depression or OCD etc?

It just seems such a big subject to squeeze into an application form.

Any advice on how to approach this?

JoblessInSeattle Thu 20-Aug-15 10:48:34

Sorry I meant to put, can I assume that because I've got X qualification and had Y work experience, can it be assumed that I have that knowledge, or do I need to be explicit on the application form?

JoblessInSeattle Thu 20-Aug-15 10:49:54

And can I apologise for lack of proofreading and blame the app? blush

redskybynight Thu 20-Aug-15 12:30:43

I now nothing about the NHS, but as a general application form filling in question, I would say you need to explicitly answer "I have X qualification and Y work experience". You don't need to write an essay about the issues - you just need to show how you have obtained your knowledge and practical experience you have.

Remember the person evaluating the form just wants to see a valid answer to each question, they don't necessarily want to crosscheck back to other parts of the form.

JoblessInSeattle Thu 20-Aug-15 14:12:33

thanks for that.

I always wonder whether to keep repeating myself on an application form when a previous answer covers it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now