IT or HR?

(14 Posts)
lancerate121 Sat 13-Jun-15 08:43:01

Hello,
I am currently working as a receptionist and would like to change into a much challenging job. I have been offered a HR role in a start up company as well as a software tester role in another small company. Which of the two is a more rewarding career? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

ThreeQuartersEmpty Sat 13-Jun-15 22:15:14

They are very different.
Which do you prefer? Which do you feel you could train for, study, and pass exams to gain qualifications in? Only you know that.
A career progresses as you learn more and get more experience and progress up the ladder.

I'm in IT, have been many years. I couldn't think to work in HR but I respect my HR colleagues who would also say they couldn't work in IT.

Go for the one you feel you will enjoy. Nothing worse than being stuck in a job you're not interested in.

Good luck.

OllyBJolly Tue 16-Jun-15 10:04:35

I'm qualified in HR and in software testing! It's an unusual mix. (Do have prof quals and a masters in HR, just a certificate in testing).

As threequarters says, very different roles. I couldn't work long term in testing, and would probably struggle short term.

Both are good fields if you ever want to contract or be self employed.

If you have no experience and it's a start up I think it might be challenging if you are being expected to put all the policies in place, ensure the ts & cs are correct, employment law is adhered to etc. There is a lot of help out there but it is absolutely critical it's all done correctly. Will the company sponsor you for CIPD qualifications?

Testing can be very intense, deadline driven but it's a skill that's not going to be obsolete any time soon. There's a huge skills gap looming in IT.

lancerate121 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:24:54

I have done my certification in testing and have 1 years work experience. But since I am going back to IT field after 7 years gap I am willing to join a small company. As for the HR job, its completely new to me. I have no experience or qualification in it. But will like to take it as a backup career plan.

WipsGlitter Wed 17-Jun-15 07:27:55

I thought about changing to hr last year, there always seem to be hr jobs!!

bellathebluebell Wed 17-Jun-15 22:17:44

What type of person are you?

IT and HR jobs tend to attract different personalities. IT departments are generally full of quiet, studious, analytical, systems type people. HR departments generally attract people who care (think social worker/teacher type). However, HR work on behalf of the company and are generally the buffer between management and staff. Making sure that management don't fire staff on the spot/treat staff fairly and communicating that to staff. Not the easiest job IMO and not a department which is held in particularly high regard in most of the companies I've worked in (through no fault of their own!).

lancerate121 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:37:49

Bellathebluebell -- I am friendly but an introvert and easy going person. I am good in studies but at the same time not a total bookworm. I have never concentrated in making a career for myself. But at 29 years of age, I am keen in wanting a career.

Gumnast2014 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:44:31

HR the response is always 'well of course the ultimate des ion lies with you' argghh

It I say

Heels99 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:49:06

Lol that he people are teacher, social,worker types! Not so generally very astute and commercially minded business people. It may have been a welfare job 30 years ago but it sure as hell isn't now.

IMurderedStampyLongnose Fri 19-Jun-15 17:50:30

You could do what I do,manage HR systems.Its a good mix of dealing with people, and working with the systems to help resolve 'people' problems.If your company will sponsor your CIPD then you should do that IMO.

forago Fri 19-Jun-15 17:55:37

If you've got technical aptitude and knowledge (which you probably do if you have a certification in sw testing?) then Iperosnally think you'd be bored in HR. I work in IT at a technical level and could never do HR/project management etc as I am a details person.

At the banks where I've worked the HR people seem to get made redundant before the techies and I suspect it's easier to contract in IT than HR?

magiccatlitter Thu 25-Jun-15 04:32:58

I would stay in tech. It pays more and is more interesting work, especially testing.

gg1234 Fri 26-Jun-15 23:08:57

HI

I am from IT background and into HR .I personally think do contracting in testing since its bright ,HR job is too much people dependant specially HR generalist ,The salary is even low then a regular testing job .

lancerate121 Sun 28-Jun-15 18:30:21

Thank you ladies for your replies, I have not taken the HR role since there is quite a bit of daily commute to do. I am waiting for a reply from the IT company.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now