Is anyone a copywriter?

(7 Posts)
froggers1 Sun 18-May-14 16:36:36

I have a degree in Geography and a Masters in Town Planning but don't really want to go back to this..I have been off work for two years and have a five yr old and a two yr old..I am thinking of trying to get into copywriting but not sure how to go about it. Do I need to do a course and if so, which one? I have seen quite a few in-house positions locally but I don't have any experience...if it matters I am 40. Any advice for me?

fuckinglondonballs Sun 18-May-14 17:21:45

You need to be shit hot at writing. Your written English needs to be perfect. Can you apply any of your previous experience to a copy writing role? Can you write lively, engaging copy? Plain English is a must for most things.

Have a look at some job descriptions - do they ask for any specific quals? Might be worth brushing up on your grammar and whatnot but experience is key. Perhaps put a portfolio together? Do you have any friends or family with their own businessses? You could offer to write for their websites, leaflets etc. You may have to start at the bottom with no previous experience.

froggers1 Sun 18-May-14 18:25:56

Thanks for replying! Do you think those courses you see are worth it? I could probably use some of my past work in a portfolio. I have written web pages and the odd article...

fuckinglondonballs Sun 18-May-14 22:10:00

Could you call the people you've seen recruiting and ask them? Have a chat about the job and establish whether you're the right sort of candidate. Ask them if having relevant qualifications would help and if so which ones.

I hire people who have copy writing experience but not for jobs that are only copy writing iyswim.

Suffolkblush Tue 03-Jun-14 21:10:36

Hi there,

Just in case you're still after advice... I've been a copywriter for 15 years. Happy to share info/tips/advice etc. drop me a line at: hello@thatnorfolkwriter.com x

user1468484871 Thu 14-Jul-16 09:31:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 14-Jul-16 09:49:32

If you want to do a course, a reputable journalism or sub-editing course would help. The copywriting courses are nonsense.

The portfolio will be they key thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now