How to explain a very long gap on Cv something like 4 years

(12 Posts)
gg1234 Tue 15-Apr-14 19:42:26

Hi all ,I have been out of work for a very long time .can someone explain me how to answer the employer with regards to this I did a course in the middle and one voluntary job thats all

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Tue 15-Apr-14 19:45:35

Why were you out of work? We're you sick/bringing up family/travelling?

I am just honest with mine and say what I have been doing.

gg1234 Tue 15-Apr-14 19:49:13

Ok but does being honest really works out as in employers feel that we lack in skills etc or might have gone through a lot of interviews but didn't qualify for one

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Tue 15-Apr-14 19:57:08

Well I have never really been out of work except for two years I chose to be at home so for me being honest has worked.

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Tue 15-Apr-14 19:58:30

Well I have never really been out of work except for two years I chose to be at home so for me being honest has worked.

PoppadomPreach Tue 15-Apr-14 20:01:13

I was honest. I recently went back to work after over 4 years - my CV just had 2009 down as last time I worked. And I just said in my covering letter for roles that I had a young family who had just started school and inwas therefore going back to work. I was very matter of fact about it and just summoned my inner (fake) confidence to convince them that it was no big deal.

gg1234 Tue 15-Apr-14 20:08:09

Ok thanks

AphraBane Tue 15-Apr-14 20:11:43

I know a friend managed to disguise some of a work break (in her case bringing up a family) by being rather vague on dates - she was off for the second half of one year and the first half of the next, but just put down the years without the months, so it didn't look like she'd had a break at all. If the prospective employer had asked she would have been honest about it, but it never came up.

JeanSeberg Tue 15-Apr-14 20:14:43

Depending on the field you want to get into, I'd recommend temping via an agency. Then you build your CV and your skills up again ready to apply for permanent jobs.

MaryShelley Tue 15-Apr-14 20:14:53

Be honest! That is how you explain it. Lies will come back and bite you in the bum.

SuperSnowWoman Tue 15-Apr-14 20:18:22

Have you been in prison? That is what I may consider when recruiting.

BrikSchittHaus Tue 15-Apr-14 20:38:34

I have had quite long breaks in employment over the years, it pays to be honest but also matter of fact.

honestly state your career history and professional/ academic qualifications with dates. answer honestly if anyone asks about the break in employment, offer a personal reference to cover the period of non-employment so that there is verification that you haven't been in prison etc. as that is often the concern from an employer's perspective. (more common if you are a man, but there you go).

The world has changed a lot in the last 5 years and this has become more common than in the past due to many people losing work as a result of the recession as a consequence, I don't think it's as much of an issue any more.

Don't let it be a reason for you not to move forward, being positive and energetic about making a transition into work will be what people are interested in, rather than the gap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now