SAHM going back to work

(7 Posts)
winkywinkola Thu 10-Apr-14 22:56:35

Is it unethical to claim JSA whilst I'm looking?

Also for long term unemployed what are the retraining opportunities for older people?

I really want to work. Need to cover child are costs but am keen to get back again.

Can anyone give me some advice please ?

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 11-Apr-14 14:52:04

Not sure about the ethics, but the Jobcentre, demonised though they are sometimes, can be very helpful in advising you about training and so on.

Any idea what you want to do?

Rockchick1984 Fri 11-Apr-14 16:01:39

Are you a single parent? You may not be eligible for JSA if you've been a SAHM.

winkywinkola Fri 11-Apr-14 19:36:51

No. I'm married with 4 dcs. I think claiming JSA may be a piss take actually but someone suggested it to me.

Yes, I'd like to retrain in aromatherapy massage and general beauty with a view to starting my own business.

The relevant courses cost a bit though and money is tight right now.

I do understand that just because I fancy doing this as a way of earning a living, I shouldn't really expect the tax payer to foot the bill.

blueshoes Fri 11-Apr-14 20:12:53

If you claim JSA, you must genuinely be looking for work.

I don't think you are entitled to claim if you are retraining but not jobhunting because you are not actually looking for work.

But the job centre will be able to advise better.

Rockchick1984 Fri 11-Apr-14 21:39:01

If your husband is working then you won't be eligible for JSA - income based would only be if he was out of work, and you haven't been paying NI contributions while a SAHM so wouldn't be able to claim contribution based JSA.

I don't personally think its fair that you can't claim, but that's the rules unfortunately.

winkywinkola Sat 12-Apr-14 06:53:15

Not to worry. Thank you for all your insights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now