Finding a job and sorting childcare at the same time??????

(5 Posts)
jonnytekno Thu 10-Apr-14 16:13:31

Our son is 9 months old and we are struggling with how to sort out my wife returning to work, so was looking for any advice

She is on [statuatory] maternity leave from a job which she does not want to return to, and which would be impractical anyway. She therefore needs to find new part time work locally, but actually going about this seems very complicated.

We have a place at a local nursery provisionally booked for September, but they keep pressing us for days of the week, which of course we don't know yet. I guess we just have to pick days and a start date and then she has to try and get a part time job for those days starting on that date. She hasn't really looked for work yet but this feels like it is going to be very challenging, especially given that if she doesn't find a job in time we probably have to pay the nursery anyway. The nursery are pretty unhelpful - we have asked for advice on how best to manage it, but they pretty much ignore us.

We don't despreately need her to go back to work on a specific date, its just that the nursery wanted to be specific hence the Septmber date. In an ideal world, she would spend some time looking for the right thing and then sieze the opportunity when it arose, but then how do we manage childcare and/or a nursery place in this scenario? Do we try and get a private nanny until a place comes up in the nursery? This sounds expensive? Our families do not live close so them helping out is not an option.

We are literlly at a loss as to how to go about this, any advice from people who have been through it would be much appreciated.

changeforthebetter Thu 10-Apr-14 16:19:09

I had 10 days notice to sort out two childcare places, no local family and I am a lone parent. Stressful doesn't even begin to cover it. I think childminders are a more flexible option than nurseries. There are good and bad so you would need to put in time to go and meet them and suss them out. One key thing for me was finding someone who had back up if she was ill or otherwise unavailable.

Nevercan Thu 10-Apr-14 18:07:13

You could just pick two days for the time being and then change them when the job side is sorted. It depends on how many places the nursery has available.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 10-Apr-14 22:19:08

I think it depends on the 'make up' of childcare locally.

If there is only 1 nursery and a giant waiting list then it makes sense for your DW to find a job asap so she can take up the space.

I would book the most days you think you will need and then try to drop down rather than the other way around. Not great for the nursery but you need to think about your needs.

If there are more childcare options then you can afford to drop the nursery and sort out childcare when your DW finds a role.

It is difficult. Is working pt for her current employer not an option? Even as a short-term thing whilst she job hunts?

ilovemountains Thu 10-Apr-14 22:26:55

Find out which are the most popular days of the week at the nursery, and take those. You should be able to add or swap to the less-popular days later if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now