Ex-freelance lone parent feeling held-back from going into full-time work again...

(2 Posts)
aegeansky Fri 04-Apr-14 17:41:47

So I am an M single parent (1 child 50% residency by arrangement through family lawyers). I have freelanced for years but the work is getting too erratic and I am feeling pushed into getting a full-time desk-job again.

This is what's holding me back:

1) I have no support network

2) My ex-wife frequently assumes that I will be the one to do ad-hoc spells of childcare when she is on business. She has a partner who is not working atm and is available to be at home 50% of the time.

3) The crux. Because of extremely traumatic difficulties with my parenting in my childhood, I have been very mindful, from the start, of a need to develop a close and consistent bond with my child. I can't imagine suddenly disappearing out of his life by outsourcing my parenting to someone else... (who, anyway?)

4) The holidays are the most intimidating thing here - there are just so many of them and I can't leave a pre-teen wandering around the streets. There a no suitable holiday schemes here for his age group.

I know you might just say, hey, suck it up like the rest of us, but point 3 has such a powerful impact that it's impossible to see it that way.

maturebizy Tue 08-Apr-14 20:03:30

i have just seen this...you sound like a great parent...can you expand the freelancing you do? i bet you have thought of it though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now