Commuting with 3.5 year old

(7 Posts)
Dom75 Fri 28-Mar-14 21:36:45

I have the opportunity of applying for my dream job in a school, with a great nursery attached that I could send our LO to. However the down side of this amazing job is that it is an hour away and we can't move because of my husband's work. Do you think this is too far to commute with LO bearing in mind it would be term time only.

On the other hand I also have an interview for a job which is really interesting but not term time only, just 3.5 days a week. Which would seem the better option? Help I am so confused!

JeanSeberg Sat 29-Mar-14 08:30:30

First option sounds good. Will you be driving there or public transport?

tethersend Sat 29-Mar-14 08:42:15

Could your son attend the school for reception?

I think you should look ahead a couple of years, tbh. It could be difficult with his friends living that far away throughout primary school.

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Sat 29-Mar-14 08:57:06

I take ds (2) to a nursery near my work. It's just over an hour each way on the train. It's fine - hard work sometimes but mainly he's good on the commute and doesn't mind.

Ive had a few comments like 'poor little thing getting dragged out at this hour' though.

JabberJabberJay Sat 29-Mar-14 09:04:36

I think it would make a big difference depending on whether you were planning to drive or take public transport.

Public transport would be more more difficult I would imagine. I once took my 2 year old with me on the 8.00 train from Reading to Paddington. Never again!

But if driving it would be fine I think. Does your DC like the car? Would falling asleep on the way back and then not being tired at bedtime be an issue do you think?

Dom75 Sat 29-Mar-14 09:29:18

We would be in the car and the issues some of you have mentioned are exactly what I have been thinking about a) school friends being so far away and b) the falling asleep in the car which he is prone to do so could have some bedtime issues.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment! I think I will apply and see how far my application gets, I can always withdraw during the application process if I really think it is not do-oable.

JabberJabberJay Sat 29-Mar-14 12:39:40

Good luck OP. I hope it works out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now