Not returning to work - do I have to pay back benefits?

(5 Posts)
meganorks Fri 28-Mar-14 21:35:04

I'm planning to not return to work and have just been on statutory maternity pay, so shouldn't have to repay anything. But I wanted to check whether there is any way they can make me pay back benefits - ie my car allowance? I don't think there is and there is no mention of it in my maternity policy.
Is there a legal requirement of how much notice I have to give? I am on 3 months notice for my job, but don't want to have to give that much notice.

Rockchick1984 Sat 29-Mar-14 07:20:31

They can't make you pay back any contractual benefits, so don't worry about that.

If your notice period is 3 months then you need to give 3 months notice - why don't you want to?

addictedtosugar Sat 29-Mar-14 07:33:25

Yes, officially you need to give 3 months notice. When are you due back at work? Don't forget your accrued holiday and bank holidays, that will take up some of the notice period.
You may also find that work will agree to shortening your notice period, as frankly, your probably more of a pain coming back for 2-3 months, and then going again, unless there is something sensible you can do in that time. Always worth a discussion.

I don't believe they will make you pay back any of the benefits you've mentioned - as I understand it, only OMP, if stated in the policy, is repayable on none return.

meganorks Sun 30-Mar-14 10:31:45

Thanks. I guess the only reason I don't want to give 3 months is because I will have to do that soon in order not to return to work. And if I don't have to pay back benefits then I could still get my car allowance for last few months when not being paid. Although not very much so not too bothered about that.

flowery Mon 31-Mar-14 11:11:10

Why is giving notice soon a problem? You will still be employed for those three months so the only thing that would be affected is the fact that you're not going back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now