SAHM with limited work experience...

(2 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Alpacacino Fri 28-Mar-14 11:00:13

Dsclaimer: Not sure if this is appropriate in Chat or if it should be in going back to work?

Has anyone been in this situation and worked themselves out of it?

Following a thread in AIBU about never having had a long-term paid job.

I'm currently a SAHM, have been for 5 years. Before that, I was a mess - I was trying to finish off my LLM degree, but after a traumatic experience, was depressed, could not manage to concentrate, was flapping about not making any proper decisions and ended up neither being able to study properly or get a job.

So this has left me with a gaping hole in my CV, the highlights of which are a decent law degree featuring a year abroad, decent French and fluent German, and half a LLM degree with good marks for my work. Then work experience in jobs completely unrelated to law, and internships also related to politics.

I feel a failure. My ambition was to finish the LLM (in international law), and then go on to work for a good cause within an NGO.

But where do I go from here? How do I get into the workplace, and is my CV too much of a mess to enable me to work in the legal field? Who can I ask?

JeanSeberg Fri 28-Mar-14 12:06:35

Hi Alpa. I'm assuming your depression is now under control in which case well done.

So time to think positive now (no feeling like a failure!) and get ready to go into the workplace.

My ambition was to finish the LLM (in international law), and then go on to work for a good cause within an NGO

First point - can you pick up the LLM where you left off and stick to your original plan of finishing it and working within a NGO?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 28-Mar-14 13:14:32

Hello

We've moved this to 'Going back to work' now at the OP's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now