Where to advertise a part-time admin job?

(29 Posts)
LilyRose88 Sun 23-Mar-14 14:33:21

I work in a small organisation based in London and I am looking for someone to provide general admin support on a part-time basis. I am flexible about days/hours. I have previously used agencies and advertised in the Guardian for staff, but I have not managed to find the right person for this admin role. If you were looking for a part-time admin job, where would you look? I am definitely not tapping into the right market at the moment.

mrscog Sun 23-Mar-14 14:36:03

Have you thought about advertising on Mumsnet? I always look in the Guardian to be honest.

NigellasDealer Sun 23-Mar-14 14:37:55

you could advertise here?
i would apply grin

PuppyMonkey Sun 23-Mar-14 14:37:56

I'd look in my local paper's job section, not The Guardian, if I was looking for an admin job like this.

Bearandcub Sun 23-Mar-14 14:41:12

Indeed.co.uk
Gumtree jobs
Reed online
Monster

Personally I think most people look online first for jobs.

LilyRose88 Sun 23-Mar-14 14:53:54

Thanks for your replies. We do advertise in the Guardian online and have also used some relevant membership organisations that have online job boards, but without success. As we are based in central London there isn't a local paper, or a local community website, both of which are good ideas and if we were based near where I live I could think of a few that I could use.

I think part of the problem is that we tend to attract people who are quite ambitious and want to use the role as a springboard to other things, and they then get frustrated when they realise that the role is actually purely admin and general help, rather than anything glamorous or exciting. We pay quite well, and weirdly I think that this might also send out the wrong message to people as they think that the job must be important if it pays well. Our pay rates are based on paying at least the living wage, and we take account that most people have to commute because of our location.

MrsSteptoe Sun 23-Mar-14 15:05:22

It might be a completely rubbish idea, but I don't suppose your relevant council - Westminster? - has any ideas about how to target those looking for part time work? Through libraries or something, maybe?

DS is at a Westminster state primary, and I know we had some stuff a couple of years ago about an organisation that was clearly to help mothers back into employment. It had a few vacancies for things like PT bookkeepers and office managers at the time, but I haven't seen anything recently. And I'm sure it was in some way connected to WC council. Sorry I'm rambling a bit, but I can't remember it in detail...

PuppyMonkey Sun 23-Mar-14 15:06:46

There are loads of local papers in London. confused

NigellasDealer Sun 23-Mar-14 15:08:10

of course there is a local paper

LilyRose88 Sun 23-Mar-14 16:49:40

Thanks. Unfortunately there is no local paper covering the area we are based in as it is central London. I will see if the local council has any suggestions but as it is not really a residential area I am not necessarily looking for a local resident.

PuppyMonkey Sun 23-Mar-14 17:21:24

But there will be local papers in neighbouring areas where people looking for work can commute.

stonehairbrush Sun 23-Mar-14 17:32:39

Twitter.

Hoppinggreen Sun 23-Mar-14 17:38:37

Mumsnet jobs board?

NinetyNinePercentTroll Sun 23-Mar-14 17:45:41

This smacks of stealth advertising on MN.

Job description? Check.

Comment on rates - "We pay well" Check

Hmm

NigellasDealer Sun 23-Mar-14 17:46:46

course it is stealth advertising - op is waiting for a private message from some hopeful person.

It's not even very stealthy really is it?

MarshaBrady Sun 23-Mar-14 17:48:39

Advertise here - on the jobs section. It doesn't cost much.

NinetyNinePercentTroll Sun 23-Mar-14 17:49:33

I've reported anyhow.

NigellasDealer Sun 23-Mar-14 17:51:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NinetyNinePercentTroll Sun 23-Mar-14 17:52:15

Nope. Still, the job sounds tempting, doesn't it? Part time dogsbody & teabitch.

NigellasDealer Sun 23-Mar-14 17:53:48

grin brew brew

NinetyNinePercentTroll Sun 23-Mar-14 17:58:49

When can you start, Nigella?

If only I could afford the childcare <sigh>. I'm good at admin.

NigellasDealer Sun 23-Mar-14 18:04:09

oh i would be sacked within a week, I am the world's worst employee grin

Deathwatchbeetle Sun 23-Mar-14 19:10:35

If they don't give the salary you can bet it is crap. I was looking for admin jobs in London but it is looking less likely I will go back due to family circs.

It would be ideal as I am not at all ambitious but you still have to go through all the hoops in the interview, have degrees and certificates coming out your @ss etc etc. Years of experience count for nothing, I guess because they can pay less for a youngster. Ho hum.

They may have upped the pensionable age but employees still won't take 'mature' people on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now