Becoming a Counsellor

(2 Posts)
youaremychocolatecake Wed 05-Mar-14 23:03:19

I'm posting this on behalf of my mum as she's at a bit of a loss as to where to start. I have always said she should be a counsellor. She has one of those warm caring and understanding personalities where complete strangers seem to end up telling her their problems smile. She is 54 and has had a fairly long career break after running a business with her partner. The relationship broke down and she then went on to care for her sick mother until she died, since then she has been looking after my little boy for me whilst I work part time. I pay her a small amount but I think she's at the point in her life where she needs a proper job. She's worried she is too old to train in a new field but I think that's rubbish. Had she started when she first started thinking about it she would be well on her way by now. She has had lots of life experience and we just think it would be right for her to be a counsellor. I've looked I like at courses but it's all a bit confusing and courses vary greatly in length/course. I've suggested she do some volunteering for the Samaritans as a starting point and she is due to attend an open evening there soon. Does anyone have any advice on what her next step should be? How long training generally takes? What kind of cost is involved, etc. Many thanks in advance x

Hi chocolatecake!
How lovely that you're thinking of your mum in this way. She sounds like a lovely person, with much still to offer. 54 is not old - especially if she is interested in retraining in a career where life experience is a valuable asset.
I would signpost her to the National Careers Service (assuming you live in England), where she can find lots of careers info online, and can arrange to get careers advice too. If she looks at this page:
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobfamily/Pages/socialservices.aspx
I have found the job group that includes a wide range of careers that use the same sort of transferable skills as counselling, which also might interest her.
Good luck to her! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now