Do I ask at interview or wait?

(8 Posts)
archfiend Sun 02-Mar-14 09:38:26

I have an interview next week for an administration based job in higher education. Position is advertised as full time, however the employer also makes a lot of mention of flexible working.

While it would be possible to do 37 hours it would mean additional childcare costs and quite a lot of stress getting things started (have a primary aged child and therefore have to be able to get her to school).

If I could do 32.5 or even 34 hours a week it would be much easier. So, do I bring this up at the interview (and if so, how?) or do I wait to see if I am offered the job?

I haven't done a job interview for a really long time, my switch to part time was managed after mat leave in my last job, and I am currently self employed so can mostly make my own hours.

Help!

Flexible working doesnt mean fewer hours though - it just means you have some leeway over when the ft hours are done.

MoDiddly Sun 02-Mar-14 09:46:15

I agree with Ken. It's not a part time job but you could negotiate the 37 hours over 4 or 4.5 days.

Flexible might mean you could start at 9.30/10 each day to allow you to do drop offs, but not to do less hours.

Perhaps you could ask what their flexible working policy is rather than actually saying what you want, then you could work out if it works for you.

archfiend Sun 02-Mar-14 09:57:24

Thanks. If I could do the school run in the morning it would make life a lot easier as 2 days a week are already longer days as dd doesn't need to be picked up at 3.20 due to after school clubs.

Asking about their policy is a really good idea, thanks. Am so out of practice at this!

mylittlemonkey Sun 02-Mar-14 22:16:15

I was in a similar position so I rang before applying and asked about what flexible working policies applied to the role. I then asked the same again in interview and just said that flexible working policies would advantage my situation. When I had been offered the role I then negotiated my specific requests.

archfiend Fri 07-Mar-14 17:35:55

Thanks all, I had the interview and got the job! Have negotiated fewer hours and a flexible week so really happy. Yay!

excellent well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now