having second thought about returning to work whilst dd so young

(8 Posts)
maggiethemagpie Sat 01-Mar-14 08:50:27

My daughter is five months old, I have been thinking about returning to work, as I was made redundant from my old job I don't have a new one to go to and the original plan was that I'd return to a full time role and my partner would quit his job and be a SAHD.
I have some interviews lined up and now it's getting more real I am having second thoughts. My daughter is just beginning to get in to the bonding/attachment phase eg cries when people she does not know pick her up, and I'm worried that it'll affect our bond if I return now. My partner said I could always go back a few months later and he'll just stay working til then. Luckily, only one of us has to work as he has a property he rents out.
The other option is to go part time if I can get part time work (rare in my field but not unheard of) and have the little one in nursery 2 days, at my mum's one day and with me two days. but I'd probably have to take whatever I could find to do this, rather than the job I really want.
So I'm not sure what to do now, does it make any difference to my baby's development if I return now or in a few months time? and which is better (for her) - with dad all week and me at work full time or with me part time and at granny / nursery rest of the week?

crispyporkbelly Sat 01-Mar-14 08:54:35

If you can stay off work longer, why not? Sounds like a good idea while your dd is so little. Enjoy it, they grow so quickly!

Extremewife Sat 01-Mar-14 08:59:51

I thought that about part time work but when my old firm went bust I approached an old supplier for contacts and he gave me a PT job as at the time he needed someone to look after one of his bigger clients. I have expanded the job as my boys have grown and now do 4 days a week. It's a decent job and I work with lots of people both in my job and other companies and a surprised at the amount who are part time.

My advice would be to approach companies you would like to work for rather than waiting for a pt job to be advertised IYSWIM

Good luck

maggiethemagpie Sat 01-Mar-14 11:12:30

thanks

crispy pork belly - I wasn't planning to go back quite so soon but last time I was job hunting, jobs were few and far between and I thought I'd better get my cv out there ahead of when I really want to go back to avoid missing out on opportunities. Now it seems there are plenty of jobs, and after speaking to a few recruiters I now have three interviews lined up - didn't realise things would move so fast.
I have SMP to last til the end of may (I'm still technically employed on mat leave but my job has moved) so the idea was that I try and move around then when she'll be 9 months. I know it seems silly to go back earlier than I have to - some days at home can be boring and/or stressful but it'll be double that at work I know! It's easy to get caught up in the thrill of the chase with job interviews, but I have to remember that it's not about whether they want me but whether I want them!

I think I may try and look for part time for a few months more, there are some part time jobs out there and I would lower my expectations of both salary and job content for the benefits of p/t work.

I just don't think I can go back to full-on rat race, I would miss my daughter too much. i'm away this weekend visiting friends, not even left the house yet and already missing her!

crispyporkbelly Sat 01-Mar-14 17:46:02

Part time sounds like a good compromise then! Good luck

Supermum222 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:06:44

Go part time! Best of both worlds.

Teeshah Sat 19-Apr-14 00:00:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

fidelineish Sat 19-Apr-14 00:27:48

Exactly the same spammy message on so many threads? Bit unimaginative. You could at least change a couple of words instead of just cutting and pasting your shitty so called 'job' nonsense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now