Flexible working-what did you ask for..and get?

(3 Posts)
Ishouldcoco2013 Wed 26-Feb-14 23:04:05

I have to return to work when my DC is 6 months in April. I work f-t and my partner will be childminding as he is a f-t student. Am aware that our circumstances will change once he finishes his PhD and she is at nursery so am wondering what's the most practical request to put to work? I think I can only make a request once so am wondering what other people asked for and were granted, as your workplace only has to consider your request, right and not actually grant it, if not in their best interests? And if I can only make a request once- what's the most practical? At the moment am considering working 1 day from home. Current pre- maternity leave pattern was 9-5 but in reality 8-7 at peak times with no O/T. I line mange 3 people as well.

Rockchick1984 Wed 26-Feb-14 23:53:46

You need to look at it from your own company's perspective and figure out how you will sell it to them - what do they gain by agreeing to it, as well as what you will gain. How would you benefit from a day working from home - would it just be that you save in travel time, or could you use that day to catch up without distractions on things which often get postponed? Obviously you would still need childcare whilst working from home. Who would manage your team while you are not in the office?

Do you want (or need) to stay full time? Would you be better off not putting in a request immediately and looking at a flexible working request once you know what is happening with DH and his career once he finishes his PhD instead? You can put in one request every 12 months.

Ishouldcoco2013 Thu 27-Feb-14 21:18:44

Thanks for that, I need to work but have been thinking I should delay my proposal for flexible working until things are more concrete. Great advice-thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now