What job could I do? What could be right for me?

(14 Posts)
Quixo Tue 11-Feb-14 22:29:20

I would really appreciate any help and advice in helping me figure out what sort of job I could do. I am stuck indeed.
I have done a fair variety of different jobs and do not feel I could return to any of these in any long term capacity.
Here's what I have done: Retail (supermarket, on tills), Food (kitchen work, waitressing and assistant managing), Office (basic administrative work, tele-sales, call centre and a little website building), Volunteering, (St John Ambulance and a couple of other local charities) and a Teacher (HOD for one year, my NQT year!) I left to have DS2 and decided not to return. I have a first class degree, no A levels to speak of but some good GCSE'S. No other formal quals though.

My problem feels to me to be I get depressed very easily and find circumstance and environmental factors play a huge part so want to avoid work that makes me feel stupid, crushed or is performance related/commission based.
I have a history of depression and have been hospitalised on two occasions. This cannot happen again, not with two children. I don't think I can go back to teaching, by the end I was barely holding back panic attacks and on one occasion towards the end did actually leave and my husband had to pick me up. I know I will shut down within a few months of
being back, HOD or not.

We are moving to be nearer family in a few months and my eldest will be starting school in september. Family are eager to help with childcare so could potentially leave ds2 with them and work full time.

I like manual work but won't be able to fund re-training or apprenticeships. My latest thoughts led me to Cinema Projectionist (too much training though) or in a library. Oh and I'm 34 so no graduate schemes for me either.
Hit me with your knowledge mumsnet - what sort of jobs are out there? Thanks in advance smile

Roshbegosh Tue 11-Feb-14 22:34:55

Are you completely off working in a school environment? Could you be a support worker or mentor, or a teaching assistant? What about something in healthcare? Are you looking for something where you don't have to work with a group, or with the public?

Quixo Tue 11-Feb-14 23:13:40

Thanks for such a fast reply. I have thought about TA work but it's a different job essentially, and I may not be as qualified as you'd think. I'd probably get an interview but again am not sure i've the balls to be in a classroom environment again. Healthcare, yes. It's a good suggestion. I applied for an nhs job as a HCA, got an email back saying I need relevant experience and not to contact them for 6 months. I was cross. No allowance for any transferable skills at all. Have another 5 months to wait before i'm allowed to apply for another nhs job...
Currently unable to get experience but also had concerns the work may require a lot of smiling and upbeatness. You're a bit right about not wanting too much group and public facing work. I struggle with it. The teaching was as exhausting to me as climbing a miuntain.
but thank you a lot for what you've suggested. smile

Roshbegosh Wed 12-Feb-14 08:00:09

What about an admin job, maybe for a small charity? Could you be an editor for MN? There must be something out there with all your skills and experience.

callamia Wed 12-Feb-14 08:09:53

Is your degree in education? A first class degree puts you in a good position for graduate-level jobs.

What would really interest you? Many jobs have the capacity to be stressful - but think about what you do want, and what you could realistically manage. Perhaps an admin assistant role might be a start? Did you like the admin work you did previously?

Would you consider temping as a route to trialling out some different positions?

Quixo Thu 13-Feb-14 19:51:02

Thanks for your suggestions...
I have tried temping, although felt very pushed to stay in the job, rather than move on. So I did, and it was a disaster. I am not overly keen on admin, but it would depend on the organisation quite a lot I think. If I was a cog in the big greedy wheel of something like an insurance company, I would be miserable, but maybe something like a charity would make more sense. Not sure I would want to work for mumsnet though, no offence!
What jobs are you treated like a responsible grown up person, one who can be trusted to do the work regardless of how skilled/unskilled it is? My school trusted me, but I don't think I can say the same for any other employer I have had.

MonstersBalls Fri 14-Feb-14 14:20:12

How about private tutoring? It is teaching but you're more in control.

MRLAUSWARRINGTON Mon 17-Feb-14 09:55:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

University admin work? I have no experience of this but might be worth looking into

Quixo Mon 17-Feb-14 10:55:43

MonstersBalls - that does seem like a very good suggestion, but my subject isn't really one that would require a home tutor under most circumstances. However, whilst I would not rule it out entirely, it could never be a main job. There just wouldn't be enough work.

StealthPolarBear - this is what my DH suggested too...

I wonder what the deleted message said? If I'd logged in a little earlier I would have caught it before it was deleted!

I reported as spam. Ad for restaurant work somewhere in the nw!

And sorry just seen you say yourd not keen on admin work

Kikithecat Mon 17-Feb-14 12:15:02

I was going to suggest tutoring too. My dh did after being made redundant and makes a fairly good living.

Quixo Mon 17-Feb-14 12:48:17

Don't be sorry PolarBear. It's not the admin work so much that I am not keen on, it's more the office environment full of misogynists, bullies, shit-stirrers and petty folk (from my experience, I am certain there are many exceptions and would be keen to know respectable work places). I like to be trusted enough to do the job I am being paid for, not feel like everyday I have to justify my existence and 'out-do' colleagues, etc etc.

Good one for reporting the spam. It's irritating indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now