Where do I start with writing a cv

(10 Posts)
Sophiathestormfairy Tue 04-Feb-14 15:56:19

Am trying to get back into the workplace and have been asked for my cv.

I have worked for the same company for 19 years and have moved around internally so have never needed a cv (just used internal job application forms)

I just do not know where to start. I have all the information jumbling around in my head.

Pinkandwhite Tue 04-Feb-14 16:06:41

I would look at some cv templates like the ones on this website: http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/cvs-applications/free-cv-templates/jobs.aspx

You can choose one you like the look of and base your cv on it.

Good luck!

mattybennett Tue 04-Feb-14 19:36:55

I would be very interested to know how far you have got with your CV writing. There are online templates but from a personal level there needs to be a 'thread' through your CV, also something to make you stand out from the crowd.

Have you taken any recent training to demonstrate that your skills are current?

Sophiathestormfairy Tue 04-Feb-14 19:39:30

Yes I did a Prince 2 qual in 2012. I am just about to make a start now, now I have shipped everyone off to bed!

mattybennett Tue 04-Feb-14 19:51:55

Good to hear about PRINCE2. The idea of which of course is that you should just be able to drop straight in to replace the current PM if they are off sick as the paperwork is pretty much the same irrespective of the project.

Are there any local projects or charities you could support in the meantime? Generating that bond with a team around should make it easier.

Failing that, you could always try a project of your own - go to a networking event (£10 to attend, most are free) and opportunities will abound. of that I am certain.

From my perspective Confucius was only partly right: "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" but the road is quite wavy, with many twists. That's what makes it interesting.

Sophiathestormfairy Tue 04-Feb-14 21:42:47

Thanks matty

I have just completed a starter cv. Reasonably successfully I think. It is currently aimed at people in my industry who know me. Well.

I am now aware of the way they are going forward DH just gave me some useful info so have tweaked my wording and the order in which I have listed my achievements under each role to show off the project management stuff.

I have used the templates, only really for how it looks.

Hopefully it will do the job for what I need it for initially.

The next step is to develop it with a personal statement but I don't think I need that for this purpose.

mattybennett Wed 05-Feb-14 08:11:29

Best of luck with it. Remember: be recent and be relevant.

hafa786 Thu 27-Feb-14 10:58:20

Start your cv with your name and mentioned all the necessary things which are related to job like DOB, Domicile, NIC, Degrees and other things.

hafa786 Sat 01-Mar-14 06:03:27

some cv templates are here http://cv.jobz.pk it will help how to make cv

mattybennett Sat 01-Mar-14 15:24:07

Don't add your DOB, Nationality or age. It is illegal for a selection panel to take these into account and usually has to be redacted. Also, the most important section is the supporting statement. Don't just say that you're a professional - I would expect you to be anyway. You need to put in a nutshell 'Why I should hire you for this job?' What is your 'Unique Selling Point'? If you don't have one work on more experience or take certificates to prove your skills. I quite often get asked for help with CVs from people with experience and a track record but cannot confirm these skills with qualifications.

For the employment history section there should be no gaps. Gaps of over a month could be voluntary work or a sabbatical, but must show what you have learned through this time that is also relevant to the job you're appliying for.

The hobbies section should be used to provide 'talking points' where you could break the ice. They don't want to know about how sociable you are or your drinking habits, but anything interesting that shows that you're personable.

Finally, the references section should just be:

"References.

References are available upon request"

Nothing more. They will follow these up AFTER the interview, not before. You are not obliged to phone your references until you have something to talk with them about first. That way you can tell them to expect a call.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now