what can i do? what do i want to do?

(7 Posts)
birdybear Wed 29-Jan-14 15:52:38

Hi guys., am hoping for some ideas i haven't thought of.

I am 41 and have been been out of full time proper work since my first child almost 7 years ago. I now also have a younger one aged 3.

Previous to having dc , i worked full time as a retail area manager. Something i cannot go back to as the hours and travelling were so long.

Since having dc , i started., ran and then sold a business which i started whilst on mat leave and ran for approx. 4 years. Online retail.

My problem is., my ds Will be doing 3 days a week in preschool soon and i really want to start some kind of retraining or some kind of job for myself.

My biggest issue is i have on idea what to do. I have never known what i wanted to be when i was young. I just fell into retail., then worked my way up to senior management as was good at it. I started a degree in German when i was 21 but had to stop after the first year as ran out of money so my German is now pretty rusty. I leant whilst living in Germany for a couple of years.

So i have no hobbies., no burning desire to be anything., i just really want to want to do something.! I wish i wasn't so clueless.!

Can anyone advise me on what i could do to give me some kind of idea.? I need it to part time

birdybear Wed 29-Jan-14 15:54:34

Oops , too soon . I need it to be part time and don't really need to be earning that much, although that would be nice. I just want to do something i like but i have no idea what it could be!

Can anyone help? Does anyone else feel like this? I wish i had a burning desire to train as a midwife or something, but i don't know what to do!

birdybear Wed 29-Jan-14 19:40:54

Anyone?

AnnieMyBigBuddy Wed 29-Jan-14 21:31:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

I think that you would benefit from seeing a Careers Adviser/ Coach birdybear. We are not just there to inform people how to get into careers, but also to talk about what to do/ how to get ideas/ what is practicable/ motivation etc etc.

If you live in England, you can get free help from the National Careers Service https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

birdybear Thu 30-Jan-14 14:37:36

Thank you careersdragon for that link.

Anniemybigbuddy i have had a look at your site and love the idea! I can't see the whole site properly as i am only able to view it on my phone as i am currently out of the country on holiday!

If you could send me some more details that would be great. Can you pm me on here? Or i could email you via your site with my email address. I am only an hour by train away from London, in Kent .

Thanks again.

Leverette Thu 30-Jan-14 18:37:25

Annie I've reported your post as a fee is payable to advertise on this site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now