2nd Interview - Do I want it though?

(5 Posts)
solitudehappiness Fri 24-Jan-14 15:07:16

Feeling so confused as to what to do right now? DD is almost 8 months old and the job would be working 3 days a week. I have been working (voluntary) one day a week, in a very stressful job, since dd was 4 months old. I'm 41 and a lone parent, and family all live too far away to be any support. I have a childminder for the one day.
If I took this job, I'd be paying £900 a month childcare.
I've got 2nd interview next week, but been thinking, do I really want this job? I'd be run ragged running around trying to fit everything in.
Really don't know what to do?
DS is 18, and in 1st year of uni, living in halls, and I studied and worked from when he was 2 years old. I'm not lazy and have just finished a 4 year degree course, and am finishing off a placement, hence the voluntary work. I've financed the degree myself and have spent over £9000. You don't get funding for 2nd degree's.
I was let down, genuine reason, for childcare for interview next week, and have spend the last hour re-arranging more childcare. Although it can be stressful and lonely at times, I'm really enjoying caring for and spending time with my baby.
Oh I really don't know what to do.

akachan Fri 24-Jan-14 17:45:23

Definitely do the interview - for the practice if nothing else. The time to agonise about whether to take the job is when it's offered!

solitudehappiness Sat 25-Jan-14 09:15:47

I'm definitely going to do the interview. The CEO told me he can't decide between me and another person, hence the reason for the 2nd interview.
Does anyone else on their forties have any experience of going back to work with 8 month old?

Chewbecca Sat 25-Jan-14 09:22:25

Do you fancy the job itself? Is it just logistics putting you off?

If you do think you'd like to do the job and the sums add up, I would go for it.

Good part time jobs are so hard to come by, when you're wanting/needing to work, you may only be able to find full time.

I was reluctant to return to work when DS was a baby but I am so glad I did now, with hindsight because I know if I hadn't it would've been full time work or no work at all, neither of which would make me happy.

Unless this field of work regularly has desirable part time jobs available? In which case, I might perhaps wait anther year.

solitudehappiness Sun 26-Jan-14 19:45:04

I think the fact that dd is almost 8 months old, and I'd be leaving her. I can't get my mind around that. Plus the job isn't really if I'm honest what I'd like to do. I have decided that I will put looking for more hours until dd is a little older. I don't want to take on a job, then let them down because I don't like it, or I'm missing dd too much.
I've spoken with a few friends and family, and they support my decision. I've emailed the CEO and let him know of my decision not to attend the 2nd interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now