Do I have a right to Adjust my maternity leave??

(8 Posts)
Booville3 Wed 22-Jan-14 22:13:19

Just wanting some quick advice - id originally organised to have 9months maternity leave, I'm now a few months in & have decided I would like to take the whole year DH is supportive!! Can my boss say no to me or do I have the "right" to extend my leave??

oadcb Wed 22-Jan-14 23:01:10

Have you notified then of planned return date? If not they should assume full year.

If you have previously told then a return date you should let them know that you intend to take full year.

BikeRunSki Brazil Wed 22-Jan-14 23:03:59

You are legally entitled to a year.

LittleBearPad Wed 22-Jan-14 23:06:45

There should be something in your maternity policy which explains when you have to tell them for certain you're returning. It's not a long notice period (mine was two months I think). Until thus point you can change what you want to do.

Bankholidaybaby Thu 23-Jan-14 14:58:30

You don't have to give a return date unless you want to go back before 52 weeks. They are meant to assume that, unless you say otherwise, you're taking the full year (but it's normally sensible to warn them so they remember!).

Booville3 Thu 23-Jan-14 21:46:27

I work for the nhs there were different pay options so I had to give return date to manager & hr, i think I read somewhere (so wish id read it properly now!) that you can adjust it as long as you give 8 weeks notice, just hope boss is supportive cos if not it's going to be awkward when I do go back!!

fuckwittery Thu 23-Jan-14 21:53:26

You can definitely change it, you may have been asked to give an indication for pay purposes, but as others have said you are legally entitled to a year (plus paid holidays) and the law is that you can change your return date on 8 weeks notice, link here
https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/leave

Booville3 Mon 27-Jan-14 22:32:29

Thanks fuckwittery (love the name) spoke briefly to my boss she didn't seem over the moon but she seemed accepting that it was my "right" shame hr are so crap as they don't seem to know what I need to do next someone is getting back to me!! Hope I'm doing the right thing now after all this, a few months of being totally skint will be worth it I'm sure!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now