2 months in, not getting better

(16 Posts)
CrossWords Thu 14-Nov-13 14:16:01

Back at work after second maternity leave (work at a City law firm) and i'm really struggling. It wasnt at all this bad first time round. Now I feel permanently 'foggy' / like I've been hit by a sledgehammer. I'm doubting my abilities, feeling terrified all the time, dreading being given more work. I cant think straight. I have never felt so down and feel like this is not sustainable. But I'm the breadwinner so dont have many options. Anyone got through this type of thing? I keep telling myself, if you're going through Hell, keep going.

CrossWords Thu 14-Nov-13 16:05:51

Just occurred to me that maybe still breastfeeding and expressing at work is having an impact as well.

Unexpected Thu 14-Nov-13 20:41:19

Poor you. What age is your baby? Does s/he sleep through the night? Does your partner do a fair share of night waking/child minding/ house keeping? How is your health generally - are you possibly anaemic?

Southpaws Thu 14-Nov-13 20:52:55

I'm also a lawyer and totally identify with you feeling terrified terrified and doubting your ability. For me, I changed to working in house and it's a million times better. More flexible working, less pressure, no bills targets and less of a blame culture. Is that an option at all?

If not, I would (unless you are the supervising partner!) perhaps speak to them and ask them to cast their eye over things that you are not 100% sure on, just to give you a little reassurance until you are firing on all cylinders. My favourite phrase was 'can I just quickly run this past you?'! They just ended up confirming what I already knew normally, but it gave me some comfort to hear it from them. Whatever happens don't struggle on silently and end up drowning in work.

CrossWords Thu 14-Nov-13 21:22:06

DD is nearly nine months and although she was sleeping well at first is now not so good - of course now I'm back at work! DP picks up her from nursery and DS who's 6 from school and has them till whatever time I get back. So I am lucky with that.
In house is my dream job but the opportunities are so rare and in my state trying to job hunt on top of everything is a prospect that makes me want to cry. I know no-one else can help me change things but me though so I need to bite that bullet.

CrossWords Thu 14-Nov-13 21:43:07

Has anyone else had a very very dark time - like not feeling yourself at all - you can't imagine feeling joy, your head feeling like its all foggy - and it was only a temporary thing?

ekat Thu 14-Nov-13 22:07:00

Hi CrossWords! I have been in a similar place (at times) after returning post second DC, I found that it got better after I stopped expressing at work (and reduced feeding). Seeing a personal coach helped me focus. Is that an option for you?

ekat Thu 14-Nov-13 22:12:09

Wanted to add that for me, being utterly exhausted (+ work stress) made me miserable and unable to focus. I used to nap with the baby at the weekends to catch up on some sleep.

CrossWords Thu 14-Nov-13 22:19:23

Ekat I've been told by work to look into coaching (it might be pretty clear to all and sundry that I'm a bit all over the place). Can you recommend it? I tried to find a personal coach through google but wasnt confident at the results

ekat Thu 14-Nov-13 22:28:06

I would definitly recommend it. I used the same coach for all my 3 DCs. For me, my coach acted as a sounding board (confidential, no judgment, helped me formulate coping strategies and long term plan).

ekat Thu 14-Nov-13 22:36:54

I also found going back to work after second mat. leave was a lot harder than after the first (physically & mentally). I was expecting it to be easier, but it was far from it. That itself made me feel like I was never performing sufficiently well (at work or home front). It gradually got better.

ekat Thu 14-Nov-13 22:40:57

PS I have just checked, and the one I used is still coaching. If you PM me. I will send you her name/link to website.

CrossWords Fri 15-Nov-13 10:15:23

Thanks so much for checking that - but I dont know how to PM??

itshowwedo Fri 15-Nov-13 10:22:43

I struggled first time back. The corner came about 5 months in. I do think breastfeeding was at the bottom of it for me. I had a huge crisis, stopped feeding (DD was 15 months) and the whole thing was uphill from thereon in. I think hormones have a lot to answer for hmm I hope you settle back in soon - it is hard to go back after a break.

itshowwedo Fri 15-Nov-13 10:23:48

Crosswords you can PM ekat by clicking the "message poster" link at the top right of her posts.

CrossWords Fri 15-Nov-13 11:18:26

Thanks!
Interesting about the hormones/breastfeeding possibility - trying to find time to express is stressful in itself! Its very weird as well being in a familiar environment but suddenly feeling like you dont have any of your coping mechanisms and just cant actually do the work. Veru unsettling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now