Struggling with an application form...embarrassed!

(15 Posts)
needthemoney Fri 01-Nov-13 13:41:03

So trying to get back to work after 8 years "off".

Have found a job I want to apply for and have downloaded their application form. All fine except I can't actually input anything onto the application form. It's a PDF and it's just a document. I can't get my cursor to click in any of the boxes, it's like it's a "view only" document that I can't alter.

Am I missing something? Is there a trick to making it turn into a working form that I can type into?

Do they expect you to print it out and then get the Pritt stick out and literally cut and paste your answers on or, god forbid, fill it out in biro?!!

It's not a good sign when I am stumped at the first hurdle is it?!

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 01-Nov-13 13:43:29

Can you click "save a copy"?

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 01-Nov-13 13:44:32

Although I think it's meant for you to print out, unless they have specified online applications.

LightasaBreeze Fri 01-Nov-13 13:46:17

If its a PDF it sounds like you have to print it out and fill it in with a biro. Is the address to send it a normal send by post address or an online email address which should give a clue about how they want the application.

needthemoney Fri 01-Nov-13 16:52:15

I can email or post. Surely they don't expect me to fill it in in biro? I thought those days were gone! I can't save a copy, it only allows me to save it as a PDF. I can't be arsed handwriting all my qualifications from decades ago, I am used to just cutting and pasting in Word.

I remember once typing and then printing all the info and then physically cutting it out and sticking onto the right parts of the form and then photocopying it to get a "smooth" copy - that was about 15 years ago!!!

I don't think I'll bother as it's for an artsy organisation that would probably prefer someone under 30 anyway and I'm way past that decade!!

Smartiepants79 Fri 01-Nov-13 16:55:53

Don't give up! Neve make assumptions about what they are looking for!
I would print and fill in. A written application is better than no application at all.
Are you working on a PC or tablet?

squeaver Fri 01-Nov-13 16:58:20

I had this problem with a pdf form recently. Are you using a Mac? I was and was also using Firefox. When I opened it in Safari it could be edited.
So maybe try a different internet browser?

Smartiepants79 Fri 01-Nov-13 16:58:28
needthemoney Fri 01-Nov-13 17:45:03

Am using a Mac laptop and Safari. Will look more closely at that link Smartiepants, thanks. Am typing on the Ipad as laptop is being used for blinking Minecraft at the mo! Not sure what PDF/Adobe stuff is on there to be honest.

Janek Fri 01-Nov-13 17:51:14

A pdf is usually read-only. Although i recently filled in a pdf form for a job, i didn't even know that was possible before i did it. But it was obvious how ie i clicked on the right bit and typed and the typing appeared on the screen. If you can't then i'd say you can't!

solveproblem Fri 01-Nov-13 17:53:52

Google "free PDF editor", there's loads of them online.

DifferenceEngine Fri 01-Nov-13 17:56:35

Can you use the snipping tool and paste it into word?

I have had success with that on occasion

Otherwise, print, brio and scan

DifferenceEngine Fri 01-Nov-13 17:57:00

Or email them and ask for an editable version?

squeaver Sat 02-Nov-13 12:01:57

Try doing it on the laptop not the ipad.

needthemoney Sun 03-Nov-13 01:14:52

Grrrrr..... is this because I am using a Mac?? (I haven't been trying to do this on the Ipad by the way, that would definitely be a mare!)

Have had a look at a few Free PDF editor sites but am reluctant to download anything onto this computer because it isn't mine. Will check with my partner tomorrow to see if I can do that.

Just downloaded another form which says, click with your mouse in the box and start typing and I can't do that either - this means there must be something awry.

It's past 1am on a Sunday morning and I have just spent hours on another online application. It's so frustrating as it's for a poxy zero hours contract at about £6.50 an hour.

I think I might just apply for a job in Greggs - they seem to be employing left right and centre. First I will check out their application procedure as it might prove too challenging grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now