Not going back after maternity leave.

(4 Posts)
AlisonL1981 Mon 07-Oct-13 21:52:00

My boss (who is also a close friend) has just asked if I've decided what I'm doing about going back to work after maternity. I'm probably not going back and he knows that but he's managers has been on at him.

I told him I don't have to tell him yet but he thinks I do.

I left the first week if March and took 6 weeks holiday.my maternity started in May and I'm sure my statutory pay continues until early January.

I can't find the letter work send me.

When do I have to tell them I'm not returning? I thought I had a year and assumed I'd need to give a months notice before the year was up?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 07-Oct-13 22:04:04

The assumption is that you will take a full 12 months and you need to give 8 weeks' notice if you want to return earlier than this.

if you aren't going back you have to give your normal notice period notice - what is that?

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sm/statutory-maternity-leave-returning-to-work

You continue to accrue holiday whilst on maternity leave so they may pay you in lieu of that if you don't go back.

Anyway, I think you are right in thinking you don't have to tell them now - are you still deciding?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 07-Oct-13 22:04:21
AlisonL1981 Mon 07-Oct-13 22:14:25

Thank you for the info and the link.

I'm 99% sure I'm not going back but I want to leave it until the last minute just incase anything major happens, eg partner loses his job etc.

They will be fine if I don't go back.My position was covered by a supervisor in a lower position so I know she'll take the role.

I took photo copies of the handbook before I left, I'll try and find it all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now