Back to work ft after 6 months mat leave on Monday - tell me some good things about going back!

(12 Posts)
Matou Fri 11-Oct-13 04:48:59

How has it been so far?

I'm going back to work full-time in 10 days after 2 1/2 years off, and I'm dreading it. I'm doing my best to be positive about it as I threw myself into this plan, but it's hard.

I haven't worked full-time since having children so I'm not sure how well I will cope just physically. At least DS2 sleeps through the night. I'm awake because DS1 had a bad dream, 2nd time this week.

On the plus side:
Secured an outstanding childminder;
Expect intellectual stimulation for me, more fun with messy play etc. for DS2;
Anticipate less home boredom/ tedium (school pick-up, park, cleaning up after meals, changing nappies);
Anticipate more head space/ me-time: lunch hour to myself to get stuff sorted, do craft, call friends and family;
Expect kids to be happy to see me when I pick them up/ get home, ie not take me for granted so much, and expect I will enjoy time with kids more;
Expect DH to be more respectful (he has no respect for SAHM) and not to take me for granted anymore;
Hope DH will pull his load more (without me having to make him to too much), so we are back on a more equal footing in terms of running the household, which we haven't been since my first ML;
Expect DH to work hard on his MSc so he can get a job in Geneva and we move aboard (that's why I'm going back to work, so he can go PT and study);
Hope my new boss won't be a bully like the previous one.

Is there anything else?

Bigbird01 Sat 05-Oct-13 21:49:04

All the stuff every one has said plus remembering who you were before you became 'Mummy'. But for me I found I valued the time I had with my kids and my job so much more because I have time away from both of them (was a bit of a career monkey before I became a mum).

A slightly weird aside. I have found that I am much more effective at work now than I was before - I'm part time now (when I used to be an all-the-time worker), but I have a bigger job that I do better now. I think it's knowing that I don't want to have to think about work once I leave the office makes me work a lot harder at preventing anything spilling into my family time.

It's not easy (but nothing about being a mum is really), but I'm sure you'll be fine and both of you will get to enjoy your new routine very soon!

nancerama Wed 02-Oct-13 23:25:24

Wait 'till he can talk. DS goes to a crèche once a week while I'm on a course. I asked him what he liked most about going. "Mummy misses me", the little chimp replied.

ModeratelyObvious Wed 02-Oct-13 23:23:03

You can think straight!

Sleepybunny Sat 28-Sep-13 20:58:32

You'll prob feel more relaxed and enjoy more quality time with your LO.

Azquilith Sat 28-Sep-13 20:56:30

Thanks ladies smile bring on hot cups of tea. And lunch in lunch hours!

Hermionewastherealhero Sat 28-Sep-13 20:45:42

I miss my LO so much but the chat and laughs with friends is great

nextphase Sat 28-Sep-13 20:37:19

Hot tea (some days)
Lunch breaks which don't involve 20 mins of cleaning up afterwards.
That smile on their face when you go and collect them in the afternoon.

Nevercan Sat 28-Sep-13 20:29:14

I found it really restful. You can get loads done in your lunch hour and make phone calls and even arrange your social life. Plus they are sully happy to see you when you get home grin

pudseypie Sat 28-Sep-13 20:13:59

Having a lunch hour to yourself, drinking a whole cup of tea while its still hot. I cherished those moments when I first returned.

Rangirl Sat 28-Sep-13 20:07:09

The moneygrin

Azquilith Sat 28-Sep-13 19:10:17

Just that really. Going to miss my little man so much, looking forward to some grown up conversations though, what else is good about going back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now