What do you say about your recent maternity leave in an interview

(8 Posts)
SanneSannes Tue 10-Sep-13 23:16:28

Thanks everyone! As you all suggested, there was no need really to bring it up. Think my mind is just still so centred around the kids that it is almost impossible for me not to talk about them!!! Anyway, the initial interviews went quite well, so lets see where this will end up...one part of me is secretely hoping I wont get the job as I could then just continue the pretty easygoing worklife I have now, but that is a completely different story!!

you were employed while on maternity leave so no need to bring it up? unless you took a career break after it

Congratulations for being headhunted! I wouldn't mention it all and a future employer is pretty unlikely to either. Unless you want part tme hours or something. I have been at my company for x years I omit to mention I was on maternity leave for one of those years.

chanie44 Sat 07-Sep-13 22:02:01

Why do you need to mention it? Like the previous poster said, I wouldn't hide the fact, but I wouldn't hide it either.

bookishandblondish Sat 07-Sep-13 21:25:02

If the headhunter is any good, they will already know.

gintastic Sat 07-Sep-13 21:18:31

I mean, don't bring it up unless they do, but it really isn't a big deal I wouldn't have thought.

I work in a male dominated industry (construction) and have been promoted while on mat leave, and have just been offered a new senior level job despite currently still being on mat leave (until next week). No one thought it was a big deal at all.

gintastic Sat 07-Sep-13 21:16:30

I wouldn't try and hide it, for a start. I would just be totally matter of fact about it, make it not a big deal at all and focus on all the stuff that is brilliant about you and why you would be the best person for the job!

SanneSannes Sat 07-Sep-13 21:05:20

Hi, I returned to my job in Corporate Finance / Banking 2 months ago after 9 months of maternity leave (2nd maternity leave within 2 years). I have now been approached by a headhunder for an interesting job opportunity and I'm keen to go for this one but just don't know how I should deal with the time spent away from the job in the last year. Would it be foolish to just be honest and tell them and the company that I have just returned from maternity leave recently?? This is obviously quite a male dominated area and Im wondering whether this will make me look bad from the outset. Interview is Monday so any tips very welcome please!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now