How much OMP is due if I don't go back? Tax

(6 Posts)
RatherUninspired Tue 03-Sep-13 08:54:43

Does anyone know if they will deduct tax before asking for it back. I currently hav deductions including pension etc which amount to about 25% and there is a strong possibility I won't go back. Will they deduct this 25% ish amount as I don't know how I can pay it back when I didn't receive it!?

LIZS Tue 03-Sep-13 08:58:22

Depends on the terms of your contract . SMP is non repayable. OMP can be discretionary , often on a return to work for so long. Technically the ML counts towards pensionable service and you presumably have kept any benefits during this time so you may be due to repay a gross amount and reclaim excess tax from HMRC after the tax year.

RatherUninspired Tue 03-Sep-13 10:47:07

I plan on keeping anything above SMP that is all. I can't keep a gross amount surely as I haven't been paid it, ie pension etc? I can't keep all the smp in savings as I need it to pay the mortgage etc

Rockchick1984 Tue 03-Sep-13 10:59:35

I'm not sure regarding pension payments however if its just your tax and NI then they would bill you for the net amount. I would think its likely you would be expected to repay the pension element of it though.

Many companies will allow you to only receive SMP, with OMP paid as a lump sum at the end once you have decided to return - could you see if your employer is wiling to do this?

RatherUninspired Tue 03-Sep-13 13:27:23

But I haven't received the pension part it's just part of the deductions so surely they have to claim that from the area/company area it has gone to?!

Rockchick1984 Tue 03-Sep-13 14:29:18

I doubt if they can withdraw money from your pension fund! Can you cancel your pension contributions when you start mat leave if you can't afford to repay them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now