Any medical secretaries on here?

(5 Posts)
gingerboris Mon 26-Aug-13 20:39:17

Hi there,

In a real rut at the moment with work and looking at other career options. I currently work as a PA at a University but really need a change. Exploring the possibility of medical secretarial work and was wondering how people got into this? I know that Pitman offer a course but it's very expensive. Anyone done the course?

Ay advice much appreciated.

Ginger

I started out working as a temp & just picked it up as I went along. I've been doing it 6 years now & have no formal qualifications.

Can't think what else you asked now, please holler if you have any other questions!

LottienHuw Thu 05-Sep-13 12:00:19

You can study the AMSPAR qualification through a home study course alternatively having worked as a PA should be sufficient for you to just apply for a Medical Secretarial role.

happydutchmummy Sun 15-Sep-13 23:39:51

Hi. I agree that previous admin/pa experience should be enough to get you into a role. You may find though that you have to work your way up, start as an audio typist on a band 2 just to get used to medical terminology, gain some nhs experience, etc then go up to a med sec on a band 3, then a senior med sec/office supervisor on a 4 and then you can continue up the pay ladder if you want.

The nhs have a staff flexi bank, which is a bit of a faff to sign up with, but once you're on it you can pick and choose your assignments. My trust rarely hires temps externally - it's all internal bank staff. A lot of the temps then go into the role they have been covering as permanent staff.

JeanBodel Sun 15-Sep-13 23:46:32

I've worked as a medical secretary. You do not need a Pitman course. I got in as a temp, had never done audio typing before.

I second happydutchmummy - it's all about signing on with the NHS bank staff. It is a pain to start with but you gain skills and experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now