Struggling to get back into teaching. Should I give up? (longish)

(4 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Mon 08-Jul-13 20:23:52

So I got through my PGCE year. Just. I did love the students and the work but had a 'personality clash' with one of my mentors. This made my life difficult.
I managed to get an NQT year placement then got pregnant promptly. After this ensued a bit of a drama whereby I was cyber bullied by students (including violent comments). Management weren't supportive; in fact they had a go too and I didn't pass. Luckily this was offshore so I had another chance to do the NQT year.
I finally got a job as support staff at my current job and went for a promotion for teacher. I didn't get the job but I was told that I did a good job. I just lack experience. I then went for a few more interviews elsewhere and didn't get them for the same reason. I just feel totally demoralised like noone wants to give me a chance. Management have told me that they don't want to loose me but they think I should look elsewhere if I want to progress my career. This has made me feel completely shit; like I am a bad employee with no prospects there.

I have had outstanding lesson observations in my current role , plus thay said my last interview lesson was innovative so I am pissed off that they won't help me. I applied for another role there and didn't get a second intreview. I went to see the deputy head about my prospects and he said that I should do a return to teaching qualification (these have now been scrapped due to cuts) . I mentioned my interest in doing a masters ..(realistically in SEN but this was poo poooed as he said it would mean a step away from English teaching. Ideally in poetry but this was also discouraged as he said that I would be seen as too academic) I know that really he is talking crap about the masters and I think that I am going to do a masters but I feel that as a struggling single mum with mental health difficulties, I am being squeezed out of the job market.

Allthingspretty Tue 09-Jul-13 09:13:46

bump

Allthingspretty Tue 09-Jul-13 09:15:22

Maybe post in the staff room section op.

quackojuliet Fri 26-Jul-13 22:26:03

Hi there if you're still around I recommend continuing to try for teaching jobs, it is demoralising when you get knocked back at interview but i went to 7 yes 7 interviews for my NQT role, was told i was often second choice candidate, etc etc. Did not give up and eventually sealed a good job.
I don't know if doing the masters would put you in a better position job-wise, English isn't my subject but I would imagine it would make you better qualified for HoD posts and in private schools where they particularly value masters.
But I would continue trying to seal your NQT as once you have that you can do the masters and not worry about qualifying.
Really sorry about your bad experience and don't get disheartened there is a job out there for you, teaching can be an excellent career for parents, you just need an understanding headteacher.
Good luck !!! xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now