Changing hours and changing jobs.

(4 Posts)
shufflehopstep Sun 23-Jun-13 00:16:20

You can appeal the decision. If there are other people in your area who do part time work you could mention that. I recently had my request for pt work denied and I appealed. Do you have a Union Rep? It is very unionised at my work and we are fortunate to have full time union reps on-site. They were a great help giving me advice.

Notsurewhattodonext Sun 23-Jun-13 00:05:44

We are not customer facing and I was very clear that I would change my hours for meetings if necessary and would ensure adequate holiday cover. I have a very small team who do not need me physically in the office all the time and I am always on blackberry anyway so can easily deal with anything which might come up in the 2 hours I wasn't there of an afternoon although it is highly unlikely that there would be anything that urgent.

BackforGood Sat 22-Jun-13 23:59:16

It's a bit difficult for others to comment, without really having more of an idea of the sort of job you do, in terms of knowing if people need to meet / work together at the same time.... if there always need to be a certain number of people 'customer facing' ...as you say it is a 'senior role' does that mean you are managing staff? ..... and so on.
Don't get me wrong - I work PT myself, and love it, but I recognise that if you have too many people with too many different patterns, then it can make organising work quite difficult.

Notsurewhattodonext Sat 22-Jun-13 23:47:21

I have recently had a flexible working request rejected, I work 28 hours a week over 4 days and asked if I could finish 2 hours early 1 day to collect my children from school and make up the hours on another day. I also agreed to swap the day if necessary and that I was happy for work to choose the day. Other people at my level have been allowed to change the working pattern and more junior staff have recently been recruited on different contracts such as 5 days in 4.

I like my job but working 4 full days is having a huge impact on my children who are in school but still quite young. Being able to do one more school pick up and therefore one more day of after school activities / play dates would make a big difference to them.

I have now seen a local job for 3 days a week, currently have an hour commute meaning that my children do breakfast and after school club 4 days a week which they don't like, which would allow me to do drop off every morning and pick up 3 days a week. It is a step down but once commuting costs are taken into account I would only be £320 a month worse off by dropping a day and can afford to do this. However, I have been in my current job less than a year and have worked really hard to get such a senior role.

I feel quite angry that I was very upfront about my reasons to ask for this change and that they have said no, over 2 hours, and now I am in a position where I am giving up a job I like and I am good at over their refusal to let me move 2 hours a week to another day. I do accept they are perfectly within their rights to refuse although I disagree with the reasons which I don't want to get into here. It is not an option to stay there on my current hours as its really making all of us too miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now