To work or not to work?

(9 Posts)
appleyummy Sat 15-Jun-13 02:19:59

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of giving up work to be with DC did you think it was the best decision ever? or did you regret it?
I work 4 days a week and have 3 little ones (aged 3 and 18 month twins). Can't believe how fast LO's are growing. They have a fabulous chilminder who is now a family friend and godmother. But i'm not sure i am doing a good job at home or work at the moment....

Any insights would be greatly valued

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 15-Jun-13 02:26:10

Is there an option to cut your hours?

appleyummy Sat 15-Jun-13 02:34:43

I'm a tecaher and the timetable is all set for a timetable change at the end of June it might be worth exploring, but then others who are on less time are not given full days off just half days. My childminder would still charge me for a full day because she has to make money and if I don't work a full day I can't afford to pay her. It's a lovely school with great staff and kids ...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 15-Jun-13 02:51:09

Its a really tough one isn't it and only you can decide. I work 2 days a week which is a good balance but if that option hadn't been open to me I don't think I would have wanted to work more.

appleyummy Sat 15-Jun-13 02:54:31

Yup just need to have a good old think about this one ...

Misty9 Thu 20-Jun-13 20:46:00

I've not worked since having ds, now 21mo, and I definitely don't regret it. Like any job, being a sahm can vary from mind numbingly boring moments to joyful and fun ones. I struggled for the first year but have enjoyed it more and more these past few months. Not sure how I'd cope with three, mind...!

Saying that, I'm starting a six month temp contract soon, working four days part time, and I'm dreading it sad
I've only taken it because I have yet to work in my field as a qualified professional (had ds at end of training) and I need to do so sooner rather than later. Plan is to have no.2 after this grin and I hope to stay off for another 18 months for that one. It's true they grow up so quickly, and if you can afford to stay at home (or share the care between you, which is what dh and I will do while I'm working) then go for it.

ClaresAvonRecruitment Fri 21-Jun-13 17:32:24

I was the main earner of the house when I had my first child who's now 15.. I went part time until the second one arrived, then resigned after my maternity leave ended.. When the ext one was born, I then had '3 under5'... We somehow managed financially.. My husband is an electrician so we weren't loaded by by means... I gave work up because I really didn't enjoy my job enough to warrant being away from home.. I would often just sit in the toilets and cry! Anyway, for me it was the BEST decision ever.... I work during the day whilst the kids are school now, and love the freedom, but also being there for the kids at the drop of a hat..... P.s. I too felt I was not doing either job particularly well, either in work or as the parent, so I know what you mean... Don't feel bad either way, whatever you choose to do, it's your choice after all x

cece Fri 21-Jun-13 19:03:45

I have worked part time since I had my second DC. 2 days a week and it is absolutely perfect for me. I get the best of both worlds in my opinion.

musicalfamily Sat 22-Jun-13 11:02:23

Well I managed to keep my career going despite having 4 children under 5 years old at one point - I don't know how I did it as we have no family around to help and we weren't earning enough for a full time nanny. Somehow, we just did it.

When they were very little I took much time off in the form of maternity leave, unpaid leave and then when I had my fourth I went down to 3 days a week for the first 2 years.

Many many times throughout the years I felt like giving up, I was offered redundancy 3 times and was so tempted to take it as life was quite complicated and stressful at times.

However, now that my youngest is nearly 4, I am extremely glad I held on. Life with older children seems more expensive, especially for additional extras like music lessons, sports, kit, and days out/holidays.

I never saw it and never see it as a "forever thing" I always gave myself targets - the biggest target was to pay off the mortgage, now we just managed it the next one is to have some money saved, including for kids' university/or a small deposit for a house.

Once that is achieved I will probably consider taking redundancy, but we'll see how I feel when we get there. I definitely feel less desperate to leave work now than I did when they were little and it is true that things change as the years go by. However it is a very individual choice as I have a number of friends that worked full time when the children were little and now that they are all older and at school have preferred to stay at home for various reasons. Hope this helps a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now