really really fucked off now

(12 Posts)
notnagging Sat 18-May-13 05:55:44

You can't skimp on the basics. You could go to a college with standards not as high but long term with this one you would benefit from a higher level gcse grade.

littleginger Fri 17-May-13 00:10:35

Are these things set in stone? Could you not meet with someone and explain that you have been accepted at 3 other colleges for same course, that you understand their concerns that you may not keep up with pace if you have failed assessment however you are very serious about progressing?

It's different scenario but way back when I went to college I managed to talk my way onto Biology A level despite not having the grades for GCSE.

Hi there first how long do you have before the college course starts? Trying to put aside for a moment your understandable frustration, what is this course worth to you, if it is more important than the inconvenience of travel or the frustration of waiting then take a deep breath, step back and work out which option will be best, if it is not more important take the deep breath and think about what you really want and the best way to achieve it!

Chottie Sat 11-May-13 20:23:44

Does it have to be a GCSE maths qualification? Would a C&G Level 2 in numeracy skills be acceptable? If so, you can study on line with Learndirect. You obviously have to take the exam at one of their centres. They offer support with both online and telephone tutorials.

shebangsthedrum Thu 09-May-13 19:22:16

To be fair I have been offered level 3 at 3 other colleges however I cannot travel to them. They also had assessment tests which were considerably less difficult than the local one which was GCSE level which apparantly is unusual. I also should have mentioned that I only failed the maths, the English was fine, I would have to resit english GCSE and science,(which I don't need) so overall I complete waste. I may have to sit GCSE maths at night school this year , then go for full time access course next year. thanks all. x

redskyatnight Tue 07-May-13 12:49:41

In the nicest possible way, the assessment test will have been designed to see if you are suitable to go straight into the access to nursing course.

You failed the test. You agree this is because "you are a bit rusty" - which is basically what the college are saying - you need to do some more study to get you up to speed first. Realistically there's a good chance that if they'd let you start the course you would have found it to tricky and potentially dropped out or not reached your potential.

If you can't afford the additional year of study, then how about studying at home and reapplying later? (If nothing else teach yourself the stuff that will get yourself through the assesment test ...)

SvarteKatterogFlosshatter Sat 04-May-13 16:57:43

Oh, I see, sorry.
Is the commute to the other college impossible? If you had to do it would you be able to, even if it was inconvenient?
Do you have the ability to defer for a year and go to night school instead, to get the GCSE. This isn't really ideal, but it might be better than having to do daytime lessons for only one GCSE subject.
Is your DC at school now?

shebangsthedrum Sat 04-May-13 16:50:41

No, because I failed the asessment test at the interview, they want me to do a pre access year to prepare me for the access course regardless of my current qualifications.

SvarteKatterogFlosshatter Sat 04-May-13 16:38:33

I'm not sure I understand. If it's timetabled in with your access course then why does it take an extra year? Is it a two year GCSE course?

shebangsthedrum Sat 04-May-13 16:33:01

Yes I would do GCSE at the same time, ie, timetabled in with.

SvarteKatterogFlosshatter Sat 04-May-13 16:19:22

When you say that there is provision to study GCSE maths alongside the access course, what do you mean. If it's alongside is it at the same time as the access course?

shebangsthedrum Sat 04-May-13 11:55:49

I went for an interview at my local college on wednesday with a plan to study the access to nursing course. I have received a letter this morning informing me that I will have to do GCSE course for a year first. I already have the required number, except maths of which I have a "D". Apparently it is due to me having failed their assessment test, which I knew that I would, having been out of ed for a while. Prior to being a sahm I was on the dip nursing and doing well, but left to have a child. I can't afford an extra year. There is also provision to study GCSE maths alongside the access. I know I can work at level 3, I am just a bit rusty. Another bigger college further away has told me that they will accept me but I would struggle with the commute. What to do? I can't give up this is supposed to be my time now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now