SAHM needs LinkedIn advice

(4 Posts)
SAHRum Fri 19-Apr-13 09:46:31

So, I might be putting myself forward for a WOH position and due to the nature of the job it would be a good idea to get myself on LinkedIn. However I've been a SAHM for the last 6 years and my last job was in 2007. How do I word this on a site like this or should I just leave it and have them wondering why I haven't worked since 2007??

Scatterplot Fri 19-Apr-13 19:39:12

One way would be to set the privacy settings so that previous experience isn't visible on LinkedIn to anyone (or anyone but your contacts). You need a "current job title" but can put a description there, e.g. "Science Graduate" or "Champion Networker" or "Chartered Accountant" or whatever (truthful) description suits your purpose best. Then focus on skills & building a contact network.

For the period 2007-13, maybe put a title of "Career break" and describe briefly as follows: "Caring responsibilities for family members. Involved in X group and Y network." where X and Y relate to your professional skills in a clear way if possible. But then have a "more recent job" which has title as in the previous paragraph.

I'm a manager and involved in recruitment for various administrative and managerial positions, and the main questions I would ask when looking at any application would be:
1. Does the application convey enthuasiasm for doing the job?
2. Does the application demonstrate ability to do the job?

If the job specification has a list of essential/desirable criteria then I would want to see a concise application which lets me tick of every essential criterion and as many desirable criteria as possible.

If your LinkedIn site mirrors this, all the better.

Scatterplot Fri 19-Apr-13 19:40:24

Edit: tick off blush

SAHRum Fri 19-Apr-13 22:58:16

thanks Scatterplot that's really helpful. I'll keep this on file as I've had a crisis of confidence, decided not to go for the job as other applicants have more experience than me and so I've deleted my account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now