Job offer don't know what to do

(5 Posts)
Bebimama Mon 03-Jun-13 17:03:05

Hello,
Same situation. I'm waiting for references to come through, haven't received start date but still wondering if it is the best. Never wanted to work full time either. I'm hoping too try it for a few months and then check again about home working etc which they said they wouldn't consider at interview. My dd is 2 years old.

We need workspace and creche space, I'm trying to argue for this with local council!

Misty9 Sat 25-May-13 20:05:36

Hi there

What did you decide in the end?? I'm in a similar position and feeling very torn. 20mo ds and have been sahm to him since he was born. Job not in my area of interest - but don't hate the idea either. Only 6 months fixed term but full time, and I'd never planned going back ft..

Interested to hear what you decided and how smile

CharleenKay Fri 19-Apr-13 00:15:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

margaritathatcher Thu 18-Apr-13 22:02:18

At the moment you have the upper hand in that they approached you and have already verbally offered you the job. Perhaps you could use this to your advantage?

Work out what would be your ideal scenario in this job... four days, flexi time, stonking salary, etc, etc.

Jobs are thin on the ground at the moment and, the longer you are out of the workplace, the harder it is to get back in at the same level (as I am finding at the moment!). Other side of the coin is that you will never get the time back with your child.

You just need to decide what is important to you.

Claxonia Thu 18-Apr-13 20:55:37

I was verbally offered a job this week and am supposed to have a conversation about salary tomorrow. I have been keeping an eye out for interesting positions but I didn't initiate these interviews - I met with them 2 years ago and then they got back in touch.

I have been looking after my 18 month old and since she was born (with a couple of afternoons of childcare for the last few months which makes it A LOT easier) and although I never imagined myself being a SAHM I am really unsure whether I want to take the position.

On the pro side:
Would avoid leaving a huge gap in my CV
Possibly good money (will know this tomorrow!)
Could probably just work 4 days a week

On the con side:
Would mean leaving my baby!
Would be very challenging as it's in consulting which I haven't done before
Possibly long hours
Not very interested in the subject matter (although I have a lot of experience with it and don't hate it either)

I guess I don't really want to do this now but on the other hand I'm afraid that down the line I will be desperate to go back to work and will kick myself if I turn it down.

I suppose I am looking for a bit of advice and perspective and interested in how others approached this kind of choice. Thank you in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now