Fellow Teachers

(10 Posts)
notnagging Mon 22-Apr-13 02:09:59

I was part time before ml & will be on the same hrs so 13 weeks notice is right for me. If you were full time then reduce to part time after ml I assume you will work longer. Best answer is to check with your lea & union.

BackforGood Thu 18-Apr-13 19:42:15

Going back to when my sis did this (keep in mind her dd is at University now wink) the holidays counted as weeks the same as term time, so she went back in the Summer and did 7 weeks and counted the Summer hols as the other 7 weeks, but she went back full time.
I thought that if you were working FT before ML (so your Mat pay was worked out on FT salary) then you would need to work FT to "pay back" those weeks of ML, or, if you are doing only 2 days, then it will take 2.5x as many weeks to reach the same 'level' of what you need to 'pay back. That seems logical, anyway, but with any question like this, just give your union a ring - they have this sort of (current and correct) information at their fingertips, unlike us, who are all speculating.

lpy101 Thu 18-Apr-13 19:29:44

It's 13 weeks regardless of the number of days you do.

I was told this after my second ML. The first time round I had to work the extra as I went back three days.

Apparently it's discrimination against part time workers to make them work for longer!

domoarigato Thu 18-Apr-13 12:33:14

Any news Coconut?

Still haven't got an answer to my 2 day a week question... however I have an inkling I'll have to work up to the end of the school year, July 2014 (about 34 weeks inc half term, Easter,Summer hols). Then at least I'll be paid until August (gives me time to look for another job if needs be).

Coconutfeet Wed 17-Apr-13 22:08:49

I'll have another look tomorrow and see if I can find the email she sent me when I asked about it. I do remember being shocked at how long it was. It's also very possible that I was given duff information, as the same people who informed me managed to spectacularly cock up my maternity pay numerous times.

notnagging Wed 17-Apr-13 20:20:10

Summer holidays does count as a term. That is what I'm doing.

domoarigato Wed 17-Apr-13 19:52:01

Hi Coconut.... that sounds like a very long time...are you sure?? I'm pretty crrtain they include holidays in the calculation.

Coconutfeet Wed 17-Apr-13 19:48:41

Sorry, that didn't answer your question at all!

Coconutfeet Wed 17-Apr-13 19:47:56

I worked three days a week and was due back this month. I'm pretty sure that I would have had to work till Xmas before being able to leave, taking into account the fact that you can only leave at the end of a term.

I've resigned, but fortunately had had my pay held back, so I don't need to repay anything. Two days a week will obviously be quite a bit longer.

domoarigato Wed 17-Apr-13 19:41:59

I'm going back to work in January and as you may know I have to work 13 weeks so I can keep my extra maternity pay. If I work 2 days a week, when would I have to work until before I can quit?? I.e.. how many weeks does that equate to? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now