Supporting statement advice please

(3 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 11-Apr-13 11:26:47

The person spec has 11 points, all of which I meet. Is it essential to write the supporting statement very specifically (so state exactly which criteria I am demonstrating) or is it okay to write it as a paragraphed document. Do I make any sense?! I promise what I've written is better than this!

lljkk Netherlands Fri 12-Apr-13 14:58:16

Not an expert, but have a few months of recent experience & read lots of advice.

For most jobs I think a bullet point approach in a 2 column table would be best:

* List one of their criterium: List in terse paragraph/phrases, examples of how you meet it.

and so on.

For jobs where writing itself is more important (imagine publishing, academia, report writing): then paragraphs might be better. Whatever you do, actually repeat back the exact phrases they list so they easily spot it.

Is this direct to company or thru a recruitment agency? I think it's especially tough to get past recruiters. You need to get all the keyword phrases right up at the top of the cv or cover letter. I am fairly sure that recruiters do not try to think or read between the lines ever. And otherwise they assume that everything you've written is a bald-assed lie.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 12-Apr-13 15:10:15

Thanks for your advice. It's for a teaching job so I think I'm going to stick to the paragraph style as I consider writing style to be important. But I'll definitely go through it and make sure I've used their keywords and phrases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now