Returning to work in HR, how best to update legal knowledge?

(5 Posts)
Bonnefoi Mon 18-Mar-13 15:22:11

That?s it really. Was an HR Manager until had DS1 (9) and took voluntary redundancy. Worked part time at Officer/Admin level since to fit around family life. Had DS2 and continued to work but was pretty much working to pay for eye watering nursery costs, then we relocated due to DH's job and I have been a SAHM for last couple of years because it made the most sense.

DS2 has now started and settled into school, so I want to get back to work for me as much as to contribute to the family finances. I know my legal knowledge is now woefully understatement of the century and entirely my own fault out of date and I?m at a bit of a loss to know where to start to bring it back up to date.

I hold full CIPD, so redoing this would be a waste of time, spending hundreds on a training course (JSB/Reed or similar) isn?t really in the budget. I?m considering enrolling for a two year Employment Law modules with the OU, but that doesn?t start until November and I?d like to being doing some work towards this and be in a job long before then.

Bit lost really, which is kind of pathetic. Save me HR?s of Mumsnet please! Any top tips or suggestions about where to start? thanks

chanie44 Mon 18-Mar-13 16:55:51

A few things spring to mind

1) buy a book on employment law and start reading up. Big changes in recent years include the equality act.

2) attend some free cipd events. Many have events coming up, especially employment law as laws are normally implemented in April and October. My local branch charges £10 but others are free.

3) hr policies probably haven't changed much since you last worked so read the employment issues forums on sites like these and cipd. Read the advice and chip in where you can or research issues you aren't sure of.

Snowgirl1 Mon 18-Mar-13 17:16:12

Agree with what chanie44 said.

Have you maintained your CIPD membership? There's an employment law section on the CIPD website. If you haven't maintained your CIPD membership, I think they do a special membership for people on career breaks (ie. reduced fees) which would mean you could access their website and keep up to date (and look for jobs on their website!)

The government website https://www.gov.uk/browse/employing-people also has some straight-forward employment law information - aimed at employers, but might be a good place to start refreshing your knowledge.

It also be worth contact XpertHR www.xperthr.co.uk/, which is an on-line HR resource with tons of employment law information, to see if they do a special membership rate for HR professionals who aren't working. Even if they don't, they might be persuaded to give you a free trial?

I work in HR and if I was employing someone after a career break, I wouldn't expect them to have done an employment law qualification in order to refresh their knowledge. I'd expect them to have done some reading to update their knowledge and then expect to have to send them on a 2 day employment law training course after they joined.

Bluelightsandsirens Mon 18-Mar-13 17:19:56

Great advice and I'm only really marking my place to follow the links this evening.

Good luck op

Bonnefoi Mon 18-Mar-13 18:50:43

Thank you. smilesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now