CV update - Full Time to SAHM, now back to work, but how do I word it on my CV?

(7 Posts)
DrCoconut Sun 31-Mar-13 20:02:58

I was advised by a careers adviser to put maternity break and leave it at that. That is what I do . Admittedly I was only off for 10 months though. I have a job so it obviously is OK.

momma39 Fri 29-Mar-13 19:08:21

i did not work for 15 years as I had a husband that supported my decision to be a full time mom, I put this on my cv. after all being a mom is a very hard job on call 24/7/365 you can cook, clean, entertain the child, shopping, money managment oh so many things just because you dont have official qualifications does not make it any less of a job.

farmersdaughter Fri 15-Mar-13 15:48:47

Errr didn't put that!

Will for the next one

Lucyellensmum95 Fri 15-Mar-13 15:01:07

Do include any transferable skills that you will have picked up during the "child rearing" years. Be that managing family budget or finger painting - if you can make it losely relevant to the work you are looking for.

I am going to cite "arguing with total strangers on the internet, leading to lightening typing skills" as one one mine grin

farmersdaughter Fri 15-Mar-13 14:35:24

Thank you.

I just put 'raising a family' might be a career break, but it's not been a break at all grin

NK2b1f2 Fri 15-Mar-13 13:23:31

I have a three year break in similar circumstances and have just been honest in the personal statement: career break to look after young dc. Good luck with the job hunt!

farmersdaughter Fri 15-Mar-13 10:48:10

Left my old job in May 2010, I was unhappy and made the break to leave.

DH and I went on holiday and whist away I found out I was pregnant, I was about 6 weeks or so. If I had known this I won't of quit very annoying

I started to get interviews request for new jobs, yet by this point I was well over 12 weeks. I personally didn't feel it was right to start a new job only to tell them I was nearly 4 months pregnant after a few week or so--whist I know I could of done this, is isn't me-- Also I had horrid morning sickness and spent from 9-15 weeks being sick 6 + times a day.

DD was born in 2011 and I haven't work since. Now it's time to go back if only part time.

So my question is, how do I fill in the blanks missing from my CV.

Any advice / suggestions would be brilliant,

TIA

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now