Flexible Working Request - Meeting tomorrow. please help!

(4 Posts)
LotusPalm Wed 27-Feb-13 19:20:34

Hello All
Am in need of some quick advice

I have my flexible meeting request tomorrow. I amrreturning to work after my 2nd maternity leave and I worked 4 days a week prior to mat leave.

I am requesting a staggered return as I did last time I returned to work - 6 weeks on 3 days a week, then up to 4 days, but reducing my work week by one hour to 27 hours per week. My workload based on existing and future projects would handle this easily.

I heard yesterday that a member of my team has just left work, effective immediately due to stress. They have been off for about 6 weeks already. The other member of my team left in September and the replacement started in Jan.

So that's the history. What I want to know is:
Can my company refuse my flexible working request due to temporary staff shortage. My colleague will be replaced, but recruitment takes time. I suspect my boss is looking to change my project responsibilities as well, but only because this person has left.

What is the legal position?

Thanks in advance

LotusPalm Wed 27-Feb-13 19:33:39

Flexible working request meeting, obviously...

Is there even a legal position?!

bunjies Wed 27-Feb-13 19:44:56

From my own experience I would say that yes, they can refuse a change to your working hours on that basis but I think they have to honour any existing arrangements.

Metalgoddess Thu 28-Feb-13 10:36:52

Yes they can refuse your request to change/reduce hours or do a phased return if it's detrimental to the service/business etc. The only obligation they have to you is to consider your request and give a valid reason as to why its not been accepted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now