Things you miss out on by being at work

(4 Posts)
redplanet Wed 13-Feb-13 14:10:45

I have recently gone back to work full time after a couple of years working part time. I enjoy my job and being a working mother probably suits me better than being a SAHM and is better for us as a family overall, but I keep thinking about the things I am going to miss out on. It's little things really, like being able to drop my son at school or pick him up when he starts in reception, and being able to settle the littler one into nursery. I know this is just the reality, and whatever you do there is no perfect solution, but does anyone regret missing out on certain things, or can you just not go there...?

Oodsigma Wed 13-Feb-13 14:19:26

I wasn't as bothered with them at school but hated missing things when they were tiny. I worked in a school at one point and that was awkward for school plays etc but my current job is quite flexible for that but is further away & long days/unpredictable finishes.

redplanet Wed 13-Feb-13 19:14:55

Thanks Oodsigma- I am sort of the opposite, I find it harder now that they are a bit older. But I think that there are probably things you miss at every stage, just in different ways. At least they can tell me what they have been doing in a day now. In theory!

ChristinaF Wed 13-Feb-13 20:26:02

Yes! I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I have been back at work for 3 1/2 years now and I think my social life has really suffered. I work 5 days a week but am lucky in that I can do some drop offs and some school pick ups as I finish work early on some days. However I do feel envious of the mums at drop off who are going to have coffee or go to an exercise class together and I have been thinking a lot about how to turn this round. (I have applied to drop a day at work but this was turned down and I don't want to give up working as I really enjoy my job).
I am lucky in that I don't think I miss out on my DCs at all as all three are at school and I pick up three days a week and on the days I don't I am home by 6pm.
Does anyone else have tips for improving one's social life as a working mother?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now