What's the deal with contract jobs?

(7 Posts)

Feel a bit blush at not knowing this but I've always been employed as permanent staff but I am (hopefully) close to being offered a contract position and apart from knowing that it means I only definately have employment for 12 months I don't know how else it would be different?

Can anyone out there take a bit of time to tell me what the big differences are and what I should be checking the contract for? thanks in advance

doodledoodoo Thu 07-Feb-13 15:28:12

Not a lot of difference. Contract will tell you when your job will end (i.e. 12 months from now).

Historically, contractors didn't qualify for any company benefits but I think that has just changed.

slightlysoupstainedbabygrows Thu 07-Feb-13 17:41:08

Doesn't that depend whether it's a fixed-term contract, or a contractor role? Very different.

RicStar Thu 07-Feb-13 18:01:13

Yup agree with slightlysoupy Is it a ftc role where you are still on payroll or a contract where you are self employed / using a service company? If you are still on payroll then there is not much difference to a perm role but if you are self employed / expected to use a service company type arrangement then there are more differences - though you are entitled to much same as perm staff the admin & some allowances may be different. There is of course no automatic right to contract renewal.

lljkk Thu 07-Feb-13 18:07:02

I was FTC worker for years and it was fine, once you get over 12 months continuous service with same employer you have usual expected rights of permanent employees with same length of service.

lljkk Thu 07-Feb-13 18:07:19

ps: I think permanent contract is a weird novelty.

Seems I was right to be confused confused It's a part time work from home position but I have asked who I would be employed by and told it's by the company I'm working for so I guess that means I'm on payroll. I've yet to see the contracts as I'm first "discussing the role" interviewing with someone from the company tomorrow so I suppose then will be the time to get some answers - I just don't want to appear clueless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now