can anyone give me some CV writing advice please?

(15 Posts)
VicarInaTutu Fri 25-Jan-13 21:41:17

I have lost my CV and need to do a new one - im 41 and had lots of part time jobs when my children were very young - i just did whatever was going and did a lot of temping too, from garage forecourt assistant to admin and secretarial (i can touch type and have secretarial qualifications although they are old)

The last job i went for only wanted a 10 year employment history (so for me that would entail optical dispensing assistant, medical receptionsist and then the police force as a police officer....)

Would you just put your last 10 years or would you actually go back to the point at which you left school and got your first job? Would having lots of jobs look bad for me? The longest i have been anywhere was 10 years....

would really appreciate advice from those in HR or in the know please!
thanks

McPhee Fri 25-Jan-13 21:47:58

Please may I chip in and ask a question too?

<awaiting a thumbs up before crashing in>

VicarInaTutu Fri 25-Jan-13 21:49:11

<thumbs up from me> Mcphee....go ahead!

McPhee Fri 25-Jan-13 21:52:23

Thank you. I saw this and thought it would save another thread floating around.

Can anyone point me to a good CV template. I also need to redo mine, and have no chuffing clue where to start blush

Thank you Vicar thanks

VicarInaTutu Fri 25-Jan-13 21:54:18

i just hope i posted this in the right bit....we might learn something!

McPhee Fri 25-Jan-13 22:13:20

Vicar....I think everyone has gone to bed confused

cooooooweeeeee......hellllloooooooo

VicarInaTutu Fri 25-Jan-13 22:20:20

oh sad

i need advice by tomorrow! anyone there?

nannynick Fri 25-Jan-13 22:22:36

Do you need a CV? Depending on the type of job, you may not need one as all applications are done on a form.
When I last applied for office based jobs (they were typically local or national Government or big employers), it was about 9yrs-10yrs ago, all applications were by completing an often rather long form.

VicarInaTutu Fri 25-Jan-13 22:36:05

yeah i need a CV. one around the corner from me - office manager/receptionist but i need to send CV and letter via email.

so might as well update it and have it ready for any others. just not sure how much detail to put in re past jobs....

cassell Fri 25-Jan-13 22:40:30

Personally I would put in your last 5-10years experience plus anything that is particularly relevant from previous experience but I would keep it short and just highlight the key skills. I definitely wouldn't list everything. I'm not a hr person though.

VicarInaTutu Fri 25-Jan-13 22:44:25

thank you....

Ok first things first - check, check and check again - spelling, grammar, punctuation ( that's how I weed out CV's initially). I've seen CV's from people with a bachelor's degree & 4-5 further professional qualifications with really basic errors - bin!

Don't worry about the short term, part time jobs (unless you are going for similar) - show the meaningful ones. At our age (I'm 43) employers are interested in the jobs that show progress in your career , not the filler (if the interviewer is sensible/professional). You can always put in a line stating "I have held several positions in retail & admin, mostly short term" if you feel you want to demonstrate work ethic and explain any gaps.

It can be useful to tailor your CV for each job - you can add & remove jobs/emphasis on jobs as need be, and match your CV to the position you are going for.

I think 10 yrs back is fine (unless something you did 15 yrs ago is relevant).

Also, in the current economic climate, I wouldn't judge anyone negatively for having moved jobs (unless it looked like they had quit a few times/never stuck anything serious for a decent amt of time - typically a yr)

Keep it short - 2 pages at most - interviewers may comment on this, but they won't read page 3 so will miss anything important on it!

Good clear font (I prefer Arial to Times New Roman) well spaced, good size too.

Bullet point the really important bits so they are easy to pick out and be specific on achievements e.g.

I have managed change successfully (generic)
Vs
I managed a team which had a 75% turnover in 8 months and productivity increased by 10% during the period of change.

There are some really good websites (on phone so can't link) - manager tools is good but is US so some of the work practices & employment legislation differ but the principles are good & lots of content is free.

I'll have a think & post more if I remember anything (after this glass of red maybe not)!

Best of luck!

nannynick Fri 25-Jan-13 23:02:42

If you PM me your email address I can send you mine tomorrow. It's not designed for office work but will show general layout.

In my current line of work I include a paragraph about what I did in the job for my past few jobs (so going back say 5-8 years). Then older jobs and those not in the same line of work are jus listed with basic facts, such as dates, job title, employer name.

I would always try to give more details about past jobs which are relevant to the particular job being applied for, so it is clear that I had the experience of doing that work.

VicarInaTutu Fri 25-Jan-13 23:10:46

thanks all
nanny ive pm'd you

i am anal about spelling and grammar on CVs anyway - for the police there could be no errors at all in a very long application with essay style questions.

it should be a doddle after this....but its not!

nannynick Fri 25-Jan-13 23:16:24

Should be easy after police forms smile

I cover never use this iPad thingy to write a CV, it messes up what I write on Mumsnet, so would make a mess of a CV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now