Job Hunting Support Thread

(228 Posts)
lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 09:48:03

For everyone seeking work who wants to share, have a natter, is in need of advice, or even just after a bit of sympathy.

I actually have some paid work this week, filling in for lunchtime supervision up at the primary school. But it's not exactly my long term ambition.

Everyone welcome, Please sign in and share what your job hunting targets & plans are this week smile.

hefner Fri 05-Apr-13 15:52:29

Any news yet lljkk?

I've just found out I didn't get an interview for a lovely job I applied for last week. I've got a couple of applications in at the moment but I'm not feeling very hopeful.

Lilleth I think either phone or email would be fine, I'd go for email if it'll make you feel more comfortable. Good luck with the phone interview.

Good luck on the 16th Snowy. Do you think you'd consider setting up a consultancy firm?

hefner Fri 05-Apr-13 15:55:37

Ooh I've just remembered I saw on another thread that the NCT are advertising for home based admin staff at the moment, if that's any use to Alison or anyone else?

lljkk Fri 05-Apr-13 16:13:05

Ta 4 asking, Hefner, I won't hear until 16 April at earliest.
I'll get back to job hunting next week just in case. I have another interview on 22nd, too. So looking good smile.

bee169 Sat 06-Apr-13 08:40:57

Good luck lljkk

Sabina23 Sat 06-Apr-13 19:17:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CraigStimo Wed 10-Apr-13 17:36:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Icemine Thu 11-Apr-13 12:18:43

Hi, I've an interview next week and I'm so nervous! I'm trying to prepare and I'm just a bundle of nerves, I can find lots of reasons why they won't employ me and not a lot why they should. How do you deal with the interview and preparation? Any tips?

I never get past the first round of interviews so it must be how I come across. I'm not very good at thinking on my feet and my mind goes blank when I get flustered. DH reckons he interviewed someone last week who he says was just like how he imagines me in an interview and he wanted to get up and shake some sense into him because he was really well qualified, but bad at communication and it probably cost him the job.

lljkk hope you hear some good new soon!

pinkyponk67 Thu 11-Apr-13 14:46:57

If you have got to interview stage, they think you could do the job based on your application, so don't talk yourself out of it - they know better than you what they are looking for!

If nerves are a real problem try and find some coping strategies for you, relaxation exercises or similar.

lljkk Fri 12-Apr-13 14:46:17

That's really good advice, Pinky.

Icemine Sun 14-Apr-13 19:39:41

Thanks pinky (I love the name!). So, one and a bit days to go, the kids are ill, possibly with a vomiting bug (playdate has it) so the day I most need to be child-free, I can't send them to crèche. I've no idea what I will do with them for the interview if they're still ill.

Job question...If I don't get this job, I have the offer of freelance work (F). I've delayed giving F and answer and told them I want to go to this interview first. They always ask if you have any other open applications at the end of the interview so what should I say? Basically I have a definite job offer (but crap conditions) in almost the same job description as what I'm applying for. I've stalled F and have to give an answer on the 20th at the latest. How do I get this across without telling them who I would freelance for, (previous boss) because it may not be 100% legit the way he's gone about offering me the contract and I don't want to get him into trouble! And if they don't mention it, I need to bring it up and tell them I need an answer asap. I don't even know if they'll have interviewed all the applicants. Could this work in my favour or will they just wave me goodbye?

lljkk Mon 15-Apr-13 08:03:22

Find a teen or a friend who will mind them for interview time, even if paid, call in a favour, promise biscuits & wine if necessary.

They always ask if you have any other open applications at the end of the interview so what should I say?

Heck yeah tell them you have another offer but then some reasons why you prefer the job they offer. Make yourself look more desirable. Say it's confidential if they want more details about who other offer is from. I wasn't asked about other applications, btw; at end I asked "When will you let candidates know?" and then they asked me if I was still available from date X. So I said I had a few days temp work & another interview to attend on date Y (hence gave them a 3 weeks deadline, to let me know what was happening).

mrssmooth Thu 18-Apr-13 14:04:12

Any news yet lljkk?

lljkk Thu 18-Apr-13 16:03:38

No, thanks for asking. I don't know if tomorrow is too soon to ring? I will feel more justified in enquiring if I leave it until Monday, anyway.

lljkk Mon 22-Apr-13 18:01:24

Interview today but not informed until tomorrow at earliest (twiddle twiddle). Still haven't heard anything back about the job I interviewed for 3 weeks ago. (sigh).

mrssmooth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:37:05

How annoying for you lljkk. I hope you get some news soon - it's a bit off of them to keep you waiting for 3 weeks shock How do you think the interview went today? Fingers crossed for you.

lljkk Tue 23-Apr-13 09:56:34

Interview was okay, I think I didn't say right answers to some things, always think of better answers 20 minutes after it finished, don't I!?

It's fine as long as I get other job (assuming they have a clue, not sure).
It's hard to get motivated to apply for other jobs (not many to choose from anyway) when I am still hanging on these 2.

Thx for asking.

What if anything are other people applying for?

lljkk Tue 23-Apr-13 10:59:22

Aw Nuts.
I've have a verbal informal offer of the job from yesterday contingent on good references (this is a good thing, I know).
But I think I would prefer the job from the interview 3 weeks ago. Because
A) closer to home;
B) FT which I'd prefer, although chances of extra hours at yesterday job are high, anyway;
C) permanent (not really a big deal, but gives me more choice of when to go)
D) Probably more opportunities for career development with 3weeksago job. Probably more challenging (I like a challenge)

But 3weeksago job I cannot get an answer out of them, it is an organisation in crisis, and the poor comms may be a Big Warning that I don't want to work for them.

Arrrggggh.... too many choices. First world problem I know.

mrssmooth Tue 23-Apr-13 11:23:08

Whether the 3weeksago company are in crisis or not, 3 weeks is surely more than enough time to decide on who they want?! Maybe you should give it one last try to get a reply from them, wait for the formal offer from yesterday's job to come through and perhaps by that time 3weeksago will have sorted themselves out? If not, like you say, 3weeksago company are sending out totally the wrong signals about how good they are to work for! What a horrible place for you to be in lljkk.

I'm going in for a tour and "meet the staff" session after school drop off today. Will also be going in for a few "sessions" next week before I officially start after the bank holiday. Yikes!

luminousloopylou Tue 23-Apr-13 15:07:06

I feeling your issue there MrsJasmin, I used to have a good job but left. 5 years later, it is very difficult to get back into a role like it part time. Been for an interview this morning, lovely company, lovely job and it is part-time yippee!!. I just have an incling that as it is a small co of 10 people, they will not choose me because I am of childbearing age and a financial liability :-/ time will tell! Prospective CVing is a good idea, may try that one.

lljkk Tue 23-Apr-13 16:33:48

It's okay, thanks for asking. I did ring up 3weeksago; I gather I am 2nd or maybe 3rd choice for 3weeksago so I am assuming that one is a dead duck and have said yes to the informal verbal offer; now have to wait for formal offer on paper to make it official. smile

Icemine Thu 02-May-13 03:25:45

smile great news lljkk

I called back again to see if there was any news for the interview I had on the 16 th and they are still interviewing first round candidates. They are interviewing 10...

dufflefluffle Fri 03-May-13 12:33:28

I applied for a job I felt I had a really good chance with. I was sure that I'd at least get an interview but after 4 weeks I have just heard that I didn't get anywhere with them (not even an interviewsad) they emailed me. Would it be mad to email them back saying thanks for letting me know but why didn't I get anywhere???
This is the first job I really really wanted after 10 years as a mostly sahm but I have been doing voluntary work and OU courses in that time.
I am so envy of those of you getting interviews and jobs!

hefner Tue 07-May-13 16:54:52

I got a job!!!! Finally! I'm so relieved, my current contract is about to end and I was getting really worried I wouldn't find anything. Phew.

Well done lljkk hope you enjoy your new job.

duffle it's a shame you didn't get an interview. I think it's definitely worth asking for feedback, although they might say no. I've been asking for feedback every time I didn't get an interview and out of a lot of applications (lost count how many!) I think I've had one detailed feedback, and a couple saying they only interviewed internal candidates, the rest either ignored me or said no.

nfb77 Mon 03-Jun-13 17:00:51

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has been unlucky enough to have to complete a numeracy and literacy test for North Devon Healthcare Trust? I have an interview at the end of the month and have been informed of this test, no calculators can be used!!! Iv been doing drug calcs for years but this is definitely stressing me out....I'm one worried nurse x

iseenodust Tue 04-Jun-13 14:54:59

I did a literacy & numeracy test for another part of NHS. It was multichoice and some speed was needed. You can probably find a practice one online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now