Job Hunting Support Thread

(228 Posts)
lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 09:48:03

For everyone seeking work who wants to share, have a natter, is in need of advice, or even just after a bit of sympathy.

I actually have some paid work this week, filling in for lunchtime supervision up at the primary school. But it's not exactly my long term ambition.

Everyone welcome, Please sign in and share what your job hunting targets & plans are this week smile.

mrssmooth Thu 14-Mar-13 12:29:42

Had an "interview" to joined another temping agency yesterday. Heard nothing from the one I joined a month ago, so hoping that joining as many as I can will bring in some work. I joined a second one a couple of weeks ago, and other than sending in my CV and calling to make sure they received it, I've heard nothing from them. They don't appear to need me to come in for an interview therefore have seen no ID and haven't met me in person. Wondering how (or if, more to the point) they can recommend me to a client if they haven't even met me? confused Fingers crossed tho.

Snowydrift Thu 14-Mar-13 13:32:59

I have an interview tomorrow. This time tomorrow in fact. I am dreading it! I've had no time this week to prepare, my head is pounding and I'm exhausted. Both the DC's have been ill all week with flu - proper flu, not just a cold, we ended up in A&E, they were tested for it - I've spent the past week attempting to sleep on a mattress on the floor whilst every toss and turn is accompanied by a "Mummy, hug, mummy hug" or a "waaaaa". Not to mention the hours spent mopping burning heads with cold flannels because neither paracetamol nor ibuprofen nor a combination of the two would bring the fevers down below 40. DH also had it so spent the weekend and every evening in bed, took a day off work and also spent that in bed. These are the first few minutes peace I've had (managed to get them to nap) and I can't concentrate on reading things through for my interview. My head is pounding, I'm feeling dizzy and worn out and I just want to cry, collapse and sleep. Self-pitying rant over. But how to do a stunning interview so they will not only give me a job, but at 60%, not the 80-100% advertised...

I hope something comes of it mrssmooth, I think I would call the one you joined a couple of weeks ago and ask what their time frame is, do they think they have any possibilities for you. With agencies, I think the trick is to keep on at them so they don't forget you (or get so pissed off with you calling them that they find you something wink)

lljkk Fri 15-Mar-13 12:51:35

oh my gosh, Snowy, do update when you can catch your breath. What a week.

PT flexijob may be drying up already (fine, had doubts all along). I've had 2 emails from Reed about a local FT very temp admin job that seemingly no one else is applying for ; what the Heck, I went ahead & sent a version of my CV and a cover letter saying I was only available 9:30-2:30 weekdays. But am available for temp casual work if they want to take me on while they seek someone to do it FT. Only spent 1/2 hour on the cover letter, so not much harm done.

I'm going to have a min. 3 sources to declare on my tax return this year, headache?!

hefner Fri 22-Mar-13 11:59:58

Can I join you? I need a new job as my fixed term contract ends in June. I've recently qualified after a long training process but there are no jobs around at the moment sad

Good luck with your interview snowy

lljkk Fri 22-Mar-13 12:23:52

Actually, Snowy's interview was last week. How did it go?!

hefner Fri 22-Mar-13 14:00:42

Oops sorry Snowy, I saw that your post was on Thursday but missed the date and assumed it was posted yesterday. Hope it went well.

lljkk Fri 22-Mar-13 14:13:58

What area are you qualified in, Hefner?

hefner Fri 22-Mar-13 22:25:33

I'm a mental health professional lljkk, don't want to be too specific about which profession in case I out myself! Did you hear back from the local admin job?

lljkk Sat 23-Mar-13 08:29:21

I was unsuccessful, lol. It was very temp, so fine.
DH wants to quit his job which could work out really well, if he becomes SAHP for 6-24 months while I re-establish my employability. My head is spinning with all the possibilities.
Need to get a job first, though, we need to figure out a min. salary to pay our usual bills.

lljkk Sat 23-Mar-13 08:29:55

ps: thx for asking. So you are applying for NHS jobs, too? I am apprehensive, such a funny mix of reputation.

hefner Sat 23-Mar-13 14:33:20

Yes, I'm in the NHS. I don't really think too much about how it looks as an employer as I've worked for the NHS for 10 years and always assumed I would continue, but you're right it's definitely going through a rough patch at the moment. Hopefully the Francis report will end up doing the NHS good if it leads to improvements. I'm also looking out for research posts as a back up and the university looks like a really good employer, but I would feel quite sad to leave the NHS, think I'm a bit institutionalised!

lljkk Sun 24-Mar-13 08:23:52

My other high-hopes job applic is in a Uni med school, too. smile
Question: long hours. I am selfish (sane) and only want to work contracted hours. It's an office job anyway. Do you think if office hours are 8:30-5pm that I really can leave the office at 5pm virtually every day? Is that being naive?

mrssmooth Mon 25-Mar-13 16:41:26

OMG! Been invited to an interview this Thursday for a job in a school! Can't quite believe it. Am feeling very nervous ... Yikes.

lljkk Mon 25-Mar-13 19:09:03

good luck! smile

mrssmooth Sun 31-Mar-13 18:25:48

I got the job smile smile Interview was hard work but I obviously didn't fluff my lines as much as I thought I did ... They called to offer me the job about an hour after the interview finished! I shall keep checking in here to see how you're all getting on.

lljkk Sun 31-Mar-13 18:57:21

Fantastic grin.
My interview is in 3 days. <<Wibble>>

mrssmooth Sun 31-Mar-13 19:03:31

Good luck lljkk!

lljkk Sun 31-Mar-13 21:50:39

Ta.

<<Wibble>>

hefner Tue 02-Apr-13 16:04:31

Congratulations mrssmooth!

I've found a few things to apply for although I'm not confident that I'll get interviews for any of them.

Good luck with your interview lljkk, fingers crossed for you!

mrssmooth Wed 03-Apr-13 06:30:26

Good luck today lljkk smile

lljkk Wed 03-Apr-13 12:31:20

It went well, thanks!! Pretty sure I'll get it.

mrssmooth Wed 03-Apr-13 18:41:12

Great news, let us know how you get on smile

Snowydrift Thu 04-Apr-13 11:38:55

Congratulations mrssmooth!

I wasn't called to the second round sad But I have an interview on the 16th for another position. And my previous boss has just called me and said he can't offer me a job, but if I set up a consultancy firm he can give me a contract to do some work for his department confused

LillethTheCat Thu 04-Apr-13 16:46:38

Its been ages since I was on this thread as there has been nothing to report and it dropped off TIO. However I have just seen an email inviting me for a phone interview. The end of the email said to contact them by email or phone to arrange a time. Which one would be best? Im not a big fan of talking on the phone so would rather email, but if phone is best then I will do that.

Im excited to actually get further than the application stage, but nervous now too.

Congratulations on the job mrssmooth, fingers crossed lljkk and good luck for the interview on the 16th Snowy (sorry to hear you didn't get through to the second round of the first interview though)

Alison14 Thu 04-Apr-13 17:26:27

I live in Bucks, am a self employed nail tech...times are really tough, and now realize that I need to supplement my income...I'm looking for a reception based work part time, please please let me know if you hear of anything !
Sick of living hand to mouth sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now