Job Hunting Support Thread

(228 Posts)
lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 09:48:03

For everyone seeking work who wants to share, have a natter, is in need of advice, or even just after a bit of sympathy.

I actually have some paid work this week, filling in for lunchtime supervision up at the primary school. But it's not exactly my long term ambition.

Everyone welcome, Please sign in and share what your job hunting targets & plans are this week smile.

mrssmooth Sun 24-Feb-13 17:38:12

Thanks for the offer Stephcat, but like I say, been there, done that for very little financial reward - had a fantastic territory and some great clients, but with the best will in the world you can't force them to spend money. Not for me, certainly not for a "proper" job earning decent money!

HorribleMother Sun 24-Feb-13 18:14:22

Ooh, found a temp job, mornings admin small business, within 30 min. drive (bonus!!), they want an almost immediate start which I can do (sort of, some juggling obv). I am falling over myself in misplaced hope I might get it. I just sent email & cv and will ring them tomorrow to ask if they got my email (Xing fingers).

HorribleMother Sun 24-Feb-13 18:23:23

ps; this is lljkk, name change in ironic smirk at DD.

mrssmooth Mon 25-Feb-13 10:12:45

Fingers crosssed HorribleMother (I'm one of those too, according to dd2!) I joined one temping agency a couple of weeks ago but have heard nothing. Because I only want part time during school hours (could fit in 5 hours a day depending on where the job is) I got the distinct impression from the agency lady that I was being a PITA with regards hours. They have "9-1" jobs advertised, and because I can't start (realistically) until 9.30 this will limit my prospects, which I completely understand, but at the same time, would it really be so difficult for her to ask if they could make the hours 9.30-1.30?! Going to join another agency which seems to have lots of part time jobs on their website. I'm finding this whole thing quite demoralising sad The other thing I don't like is when they don't bother to get back to you and tell you you can stop hanging on to hear from us! Why can't they put a line in their ad which says "If you haven't heard from us by xyz, you have not been successful"? Hate waiting around to hear, feels like my life's on hold at the moment! Anyhoo, moan over, hope you're successful HM!

Snowydrift Mon 25-Feb-13 14:25:07

Good luck HorribleMother (I'm one of those too, I confiscated the train set yesterday!).

I had an interview last week, and I think it went well, but I really am not qualified and I honestly don't think I would be able to do the job sad I called this morning to say I was still interested obviously, but I suspect my lack of experience is a huge negative.
I have two applications still open, one would be perfect, I called this morning and they've not yet sifted through all the applications. 90 received, they will call 4 or 5 to interview sad so there's very little chance of me making it. Maybe my call showed interest and they'll remember my name when they decide (clutching at straws here). The other, the woman in charge of this job is away at the moment, they extended the job deadline (not good news I suppose) and will have answers in a couple of weeks.

DH is trying to turn me into a furniture manufacturer ( I have no work bench, no tools but in my spare time haha I should make some furniture for the flat) . I've had a terribly in productive day, still have loads to do and really not enough time before I go and collect the dc.

Mrssmooth, I agree, the waiting is the hardest. It drives me crazy. Average answer time (beyond we have received your application, please be patient) is 4-6 weeks here!

NicknameTaken Tue 26-Feb-13 10:54:25

Did an interview yesterday. I had to give a short presentation which I thought went well, but I'm afraid I waffled a bit with some of the questions. I'd like the job (better money!) and I think I could do it, but I also feel my confidence is wobbling all over the place.

I don't think I got it.

NicknameTaken Tue 26-Feb-13 14:39:47

Yikes, was offered job. Suddenly terrified at the prospect of having to do it. It's a Good Thing - but a Scary Thing too.

HorribleMother Tue 26-Feb-13 16:32:08

Oh, lovely news Nickname

I think every step of the way is very scary, just remember that you've already got thru several scary steps successfully. smile

I applied for 2 more jobs today, about 1/3 thru another application. And a recruiter actually emailed me (yes they contacted me!) about a proper professional job, but they aren't replying to phone calls & emails back. I have no hope of any of these being successful, but will keep plugging away.

NicknameTaken Tue 26-Feb-13 16:41:04

Thanks, HM, and passing good vibes on! Great to have the recruiter contacting you! They might not be replying because there's some kind of dialogue going on with the company.

drmummmsy Tue 26-Feb-13 18:05:14

wow that's great news Nickname! you'll be just great! and there's hope for the rest of us yet....

NicknameTaken Wed 27-Feb-13 09:21:26

Thanks! <breathes deeply into paper bag>

And yes, there's hope for everyone. Batter enough doors and you'll find a weak spot somewhere that will let you in....

NicknameTaken Wed 27-Feb-13 10:17:17

I told DD, aged 5, that I got a new job which would mean a bit more money. She gave a big cheer and said "More money, more chocolate".

A child after my own heart.

lljkk Wed 27-Feb-13 11:16:30

A child with correct priorities, lol.

I had to ring Recruiter AGAIN. Is that how it works, I do all the chasing?

Managed to fish out a few more details. Worst part is the job is 1.5 hours drive away (rush hour conditions). But it's only 3-6 months and I am not in a position to turn nose up at it, given it would be a great chance to refresh my tech skills. I have decided to apply anyway, I will negotiate reduced hours if offered (unthinkable, but I can fantasise) because I cannot get childcare before 7:30am or after 6pm, strangely enough.

NicknameTaken Wed 27-Feb-13 11:22:06

From what I hear of recruiters, it doesn't surprise me that you do the chasing.

Definitely worth a shot! Definitely worth doing a short-term contract under less than ideal conditions if it gets you back in the game.

lljkk Wed 27-Feb-13 13:22:08

There is a separate button for "Apply Now"; I think I will give recruiter 24 hours & then go thru that application form to apply again (requires logging in and filling in an applic form, I think).

lljkk Tue 05-Mar-13 14:35:10

I have a job <<Faints>>It's only bitty hours until end of July, and means working a lot from home (blech) but suits me well otherwise. smile

Good luck to anyone still hunting.

mrssmooth Tue 05-Mar-13 18:54:03

Yay, congrats llijkk smile

LClogs Wed 06-Mar-13 15:07:04

Hi all,

Not sure where to start with job hunt. DD is in year 9 and DS due to start year 7 in September. They'll both be out almost all day so I could do nearly full time for the first time in years.

I studied while they were babies and got an MBA and I've had a couple of jobs since they were born, both in the public sector as I've found it most flexible in attitude to working hours. I usually work as a process improvement/re-engineering type person and really enjoy it but my last job was in 2010 so I'm not sure how to persuade someone to take me on.

I'm qualified and experienced but looking at my CV, it all looks a bit out of date. Had the depressing experience of and agency person telling me I couldn't work as an admin manager (something I have loads of experience in) because it had been too long since I last had that kind of job. Don't think I've forgotten how to do it....

I'd love to go freelance but have no contacts or recent projects to talk about.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated!

lljkk Thu 07-Mar-13 07:45:13

Just get slogging, LClogs. You don't know what you can get until you've been trying for 3-6 months. I type job titles for what I want into google and go from there.

When it rains it pours; after nothing for months and getting PT-flexitime job on Monday, which I started yesterday, yesterday got email inviting me to interview for a FT job (that's in public sector, are they really that flexible, friend said it's possible to negotiate reduced hours often, too?). I am agonising over whether to even go to interview. I wouldn't mind the interview practice but I don't think I really want the job blush. FT seems so demanding, they want me to prep a presentation which looks very boring (and I don't actually know how to use Powerpoint) and I'm outside my safe boring comfort zones to even contemplate it. I'm just so afraid of all the things I'd have to lose/change if I worked FT.

Not sure I could face turning them down if offered, that's the worst part, I might actually get offered it!

Will give myself a few days before replying (I hope that's not rude).

mrssmooth Thu 07-Mar-13 09:57:49

I think you should go for the interview. The job may not be as bad as you think, you can always ask about negotiating hours at the interview (which, if you really still don't want the job, may put them off offering you the job!) Powerpoint can't be that difficult says she who has no idea how to use it dd1 is 12 and she's a whizz on it ... wink

Snowydrift Thu 07-Mar-13 13:20:17

lljkk I would definitely say go along! The practice will be good, you can always say you want part-time, these hours and see what they say. I would have thought if you're not sure you want the job, then it won't matter if you won't compromise on your hours. Either they want you and they'll agree or they won't want to compromise and you've not lost out. Congratulations on getting a job though, even if it is only until July. It's more recent experience which is what is important. Keep your slides simple and professional looking.

I have just had an email for asking me to go to an interview. 80%, which is more than I would like to do, but we'll see... I just need to call the chap back, but he's not picking up. He put a huge load of contact details in his email (looks ridiculous!):
Name
Qualifications
Job title
Department
Company
Division
Address1
Address 2
Telephone
mobile
email
website

Should I call his mobile? It seems a bit strange, it's not like it's ultra urgent...

lljkk Thu 07-Mar-13 17:57:58

I would have thought easiest first, so start with email contact.

Okay, I am such a big Fat Wuss about this life-changing stuff. I phoned them today to book the interview, at 5:01pm & no answer, which I take as a good sign (not slaves to the job). Will phone tomorrow bit after 9am.

LClogs Fri 08-Mar-13 11:41:12

I've worked in a few public sector jobs lljkk and some are very flexible. It depends on the job and team (do they need to have phones or a public counter covered at certain times?) and the manager.

I've been interviewed for full-time jobs then negotiated part-time hours and it has worked quite well, especially when they see that I'm doing as much work as the full timers but in fewer hours...

Public sector can also be good in school holidays, I was able to change my hours to do more on days when kids were at holiday clubs and have extra days off.

Downside is that pay rates can be low, can be difficult to get used to if you have been in the private sector (I found the NHS incredibly frustrating) and career progression can be limited if you stay part-time. Overall, I'd say public sector is quite family friendly but jobs are thin on the ground at the moment.

lljkk Fri 08-Mar-13 20:13:52

Interesting.
It's sort of a branch of the NHS.
I'd quite a 4 day week, no idea if I could do the job in 4 days, though. Might have to post-hold for a spell and see what I think.

hoodoo12345 Tue 12-Mar-13 11:18:57

Wow this thread is brilliant, nice to know there are others in the same position as me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now